Options

Fender Rack

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
While at the marina yesterday, I noticed a fellow boater installing two dual fender racks on his bow rail. It got me thinking that if I installed them, I would have easier access to my fenders (which are in the storage locker on the swim platform) and gain some always needed storage space. My one concern is losing a site line from the helm. Does anyone on here use them? If so, can you give me some pros and cons to the racks? Thanks!!!
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭

I don't have racks but I just use "Fender Grip, push button fender adjusters" to keep mine on bow rail. You can just push the button to lower them into place. Probably cheaper and no issue with sight for me.

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I installed them on my 2013EC 310. I had no sight interference but I did it what I was told was the "right" way to avoid front sight loss. I installed them on the "outside" of the bow rails. To me it not only does not interfere with forward vision and look better but there is also enough room for the fenders to go ALL the way down into the holders. A friend installed them on the inside and the fenders rubbed on the deck constantly leaving colored marks(black fenders) on it. Mine did not.

If you can find the threads with pictures of my 2013 EC 310 or @gtyee's EC 310 (same boat) you can see the install. I got many  compliments on it. There should be a LOT of pictures of that boat on the forum.

BTW I paid a bit more for the GOOD quality fender holders. I ordered, received and returned the cheaper style (just wire cages) as IMO they would not last and re-ordered the ones with flat SS cages. Waaaay better construction for the money.

Try to find some pictures of my former EC 310 on the forum to see what I mean - there are lots of pictures.

Good Luck MT

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Taylor made fender holders mounted on the outside of the rail. No issues whatsoever. Do not interfere with my line of site at all.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    ItzkenItzken Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I have the SS wire racks on my 320EC and while I can certainly see the fenders, it hasn't been a problem.  I might try moving them back one post and see if I like that better.  
  • Options
    That's where mine areally  (see below). I don't have any issues.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    ...Mark you have the more expensive kind. That's what I bought for our 2013 EC 310 and I too installed them to the outside and had no forward sight problems at all.
  • Options
    They weren't cheap ... that's for sure. But they're strong. Taylor Made.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yes, Mark - I had the same, T.M. - they are the heavier SS flat rolled, last forever!
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I just bought a set but I think I needed the smaller size anyone need a set of Taylor Made fender racks they fit up to the 12" diameter fenders. 

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    sarge2sarge2 Member Posts: 7
    I use the same setup at Chesapeakechiller. One fender horizontal held in place by fendergrips. One each on starboard and port rails. It allows for horizontal positioning as well as vertical extremely fast. I also have one attached to each hand rail with a fender grip that is inside the boat and can be tossed out and adjusted quickly. I highly recommend the setup shown in the pic. It works every time and there are no sight issues. 
    2002 310 Fiesta Vee "Knot Behavin' II"