Options

kenwood stereo upgrade - keep cd exchanger?

The boat has a Kenwood stereo with a 6 cd changer tied into it.There are  two remotes; one at the helm and one by the transom. The Mrs would like to have blutooth/ iphone capable tunes to listen to - is there a unit that will easily tie in and leave the albatross cd player and remotes active?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough one. I was looking at this a year or so ago. I talked with a guy at Crutchfield on this and could not find a solution. I'd be interested if so!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    You can separately add the Bluetooth capability without changing the receiver.  A buddy did this and put it in the cockpit area.  We can connect up to 8 different Bluetooth devices and it will play from one to the next, just by pausing and pressing play on the other.  Best part is, it will work on my boat even if I'm in the raftup 5 boats down!  (fyi, I removed my cd changer the first year I got the boat, no reason for it since you can just put that music onto an MP3 - also was so I had more nice shelf storage)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    A new kenwood receiver can use the existing old remotes...I just did this.  It's a single wire.

I don't have any advice on the changer.

And bluetooth in general sucks!!  I mostly use a usb cable to play from my phone.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I'll have to get you guys the info on this Bluetooth.  It really sounds great and has no problem connecting from quite a distance.  Heck, we've had more than one occurrence where we broke the raft-up, headed home and forgot till we got out of the river that my phone was playing on his boat, broadcasting it back onto my stereo (he also has his own "pirate's radio station" that he sends out on 88.3). 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interested in DI's device. My boat came with the original 2006 clarion. It has AUX jack's on the back of the stereo (Red/White) so I was able to pull the stereo, plug in a $5 cord that turns the red/white in to a 3.5mm jack and run that out of the wall (drilled a hidden hole). From there I bought this to make it wireless bluetooth:

https://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack-AX4-Bluetooth-Connections/dp/B00NMPKVRM/ref=pd_sim_107_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41YzfDQdnWL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=199S3FM33G0ZZTCN12B9
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    holscher2438holscher2438 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I just upgraded the original Kenwood head unit on my 342.  I replaced it with a Kenwood D562BT Marine.  It has BT, Aux, USB, CD/MP3.  I abandoned the 6 disc changer and just left it in place.  The marine remotes still work at the helm and transom for volume and tuner control.  It was a perfect fit and easy to install.  Just match the wires from your old unit.  We've been using the USB and AUX jack more than the BT feature.
    Y Knot?
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    I have the old Kenwood with the 6 CD changer (a lower level unit I assume since mine does not have a remote or connections for one). It does, however, have a cassette player built in. I bought a $4 or $5 dollar cassette adaptor that plugs into my iPhone's headphone jack. Works great. I believe, but am not sure, that you can plug a Bluetooth adaptor into that same cord and play Bluetooth audio through the cassette deck. Yeah, it is redneck, but cheap and quick. 

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    NorthernmichNorthernmich Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Awesome ideas from all, especially the "redneck fix" by nhsd!! Its a tossup between the bluetooth from Amazon or the new receiver. I'll have to check with my current wife... 
    On another note, if my battery box is switched to the off position, I still have power to the cd exchanger. Any idea why?
  • Options
    i thought the golden rule was all power goes off with battery switches off except for bilge pumps.
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Awesome ideas from all, especially the "redneck fix" by nhsd!! Its a tossup between the bluetooth from Amazon or the new receiver. I'll have to check with my current wife... 
    On another note, if my battery box is switched to the off position, I still have power to the cd exchanger. Any idea why?
    I was just looking at replacement stereos and for $90 you can buy a new Kenwood receiver with Bluetooth.  It may work with the existing remotes.  If not, the Kenwood RC35MR remote is similar in form factor to older remotes.  My KCA-RC50M remotes have failed, I bought the RC35MR, and it is a drop in replacement.  They are however a little price at $60 each, IMHO.
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

You have to consider the other wiring harness connectors, too when considering a change. When I went looking it was clear that the wiring harness for my Kenwood in my 2002 212 Captiva will NOT fit the newer Kenwood stereos. That means cutting and splicing all of the speaker wires, the power wire, etc. to the new harness. No different than buying a non-Kenwood unit.

Did a little googling and found this already made version of my "redneck solution" that may meet your needs if you have a cassette slot in your player:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/39577143?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227027841886&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=47976430472&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=95955418592&veh=sem 

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    An inexpensive way to go for sure nhsd, but then i have to pull it and recharge it? I get so tired of recharging phones ,bluetooth speakers, ipads. the list goes on... One fellow at work said he had to get an adapter to convert  his stereo from old wiring setup to new and it worked like a charm. Gassing up the car and heading up tomorrow night for the weekend to do some investigating and relaxing. going to be a beautiful weekend!