Options

2011 310 EC wet aft cabin

MalloyMalloy Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
I discovered wet carpet in my aft cabin. Upon further investigation I discovered about 4 gallons of water under the access panels. I wet vac'ed the water and cleaned the brownish muck off of the fiberglass and am now trying to find the cause of the water. A little background... This boat is a "new" dealer left over that I have had since last October. It was on the water for 1 month before being stored indoor for the winter. I recently had the boat pulled from storage and some maintenance performed. I had the bottom painted and compound sand and wax done. It was driven 1/4 mile and put in the slip. We have had a lot of rain in the past 3 weeks... I have checked for lose fittings, run a/c, sinks and toilets and it is still dry since I cleaned it up. Where should I start looking? Why was the aft cabin carpet soaked when there was only 4" of water in an area that is 12" deep? I am not sure if the water came from the top down or somehow splashed up from putting the boat in and out of the water (in and out twice before work was complete) or from the ride over to the marina. Please help where should I start??

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start with the A/C connections and pump, check while running
    Check toilet too if it uses raw water
    Check all thru hulls and your bilge drain plug too
    Check the fresh air intakes too, I know I can get a fair amount of water in from them.

You can use talcum powder to try and look for little leaks as the powder will show a wet trail

Just some starting points from my experience

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Good tips. Thx.
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Malloy said:
    Good tips. Thx.
    This is what made RBO so Great and we are doing it again here on RBOC  :-bd

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    gotfinsgotfins Member Posts: 2
    I'd look at the hot water heater first. Is the water tank full? Did you notice water after running engines? Water from those engines is redirected to your hot water heater, warming the coils so you have hot water while your boat is running. If the hose was disconnected, that could be the cause.
  • Options
    After hours of trouble shooting and much investigation I discovered that the marina launched my brand new boat without the plug!! I have everything inspected by an independent mechanic and luckily the wet carpet was the worst if it. Very frustrating!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :-O   I guess we all missed checking the obvious as the first thing.  Usually you hear about that with trailered boats!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unreal!! And no disclosure??!! I shouldnt be so surprised I guess. What a mess.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    OMG!  I would have come unglued!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    This should have never happened at all. I would have giving the marina a peice of my mind but at least you do not have to fix anything or buy anything....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Are you in salt or fresh water?  If you either way, you need to have the carpets properly cleaned due to microorganisims in the water.  These can lead to mold, fungus, parasites and some really nasty smells.  I would put some bleach in the hull bilge and clean and flush thoughly.   Again, who is your dealer?? 
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Your bilge pump must have been working overtime!

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    WOW wonder the bilge didn't burn up or even keep up

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod

So how long was the plug out?  It sounds like there are a lot items that will need inspected.  That is pretty shady for a dealer to do that!  (but I've seen some shady things done before, such as a brokeraged/marina taking a boat out for a potential buyer, poking a hole thru the hull while docking and then fixing without telling the owner - I happened to see the hole, not knowing, and asked the owner what happened & how he got it fixed so quickly)

Good luck!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I am not sure how long the boat was in the water or how long the pumps ran. I can say that the water didn't appear to reach any vital items. I think the worst I may have to deal with is the carpet. I was able to properly clean the bilge and dry the carpet out. I am going in the morning to see if there is any signs or smell of mildew. For the record it was not a dealer who launched the boat however it was the dock master at the Four Seasons Marina / storage facility in Cincinnati. They seem like pretty good people but this is truly a rookie mistake. This is not the marina that I keep my boat at during the season...