Options

draining a fuel tank

duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
i have been having hard start issues when the motor is hot and after several tests, i noticed  the fuel in the tank is pretty dark compared to straight out of the pump. i ran my tank as low as i possibly could with out running out before putting it back on the trailer. now i would like to drain the remainder of the fuel so that i can start with fresh gas.   i was thinking about buying a cheap 12volt pump, remove the line before the separator and pump as much gas out as possible? seems to me the easiest way so that i don't put any unnecessary strain on the main fuel pumps. does this sound about right?

thanks

duane

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, done it many times, 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I just did it too...cheap 12v pump, some hose and a big tank.  Don't forget to have the fire extinguisher handy...just in case.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

Watch for sparks at air fuel of 20:1 you have a big bomb.

Remember an empty fuel tank is more dangerous that a full one.

Get it down then get it filled with some 91 or higher - FAST, if you're near a Sunoco they have 94, which will dilute to nothing any crappy fuel that's left.

Don't chance trying to get the last couple of ounces out, have fumes and blow yourself up!

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Duane,

If you get most of it out, then add more than 25 or 30 gallons of fresh stuff, the old will be so diluted it won't matter much.
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    just add some starbrite and fill it up will be all good. hopefully tank isnt rusting out inside........check the fuel filter and see if any debris in there from the tank