Options

Fuel pump 5.7 gxi volvo penta

Joanne32Joanne32 Member Posts: 7
hi can anyone help my fuel pump has been whining for about a year now the engine starts but cuts out after 20 seconds ? Also when the engineer removed the petrol filter there was rust on the inside ? Can't see how water could get in the pump ? Any help would be appreciated 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Joanne32Joanne32 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks they say I need a new pump and the fuel tank cleaning 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that new pump is $$$..... +$$$.....

here is what i'd do, for what it's worth:

pull the pump off... be mindful of the orings... measure them and order new ones- you'll pay pennies from oring makers, and a fortune to volvo for the same product.

clean it thoroughly.... the whine is caused by obstructions in your screens... make sure they're clear... the obstructions are likely paint chips, and it'll happen again... unless you remove the paint... which you can, with patience and a wire brush, and then cleaning it thoroughly... if you become frustrated, hedge your bet with some brake fluid... I've not met a paint yet that can withstand brake fluid... then flush flush flush afterward...

buy an inline filter that is sizable with water separator capabilities... a spin on is fine, but get a decent sized one and some extra filters.  intercept the line coming from your tank, and insert your filter prior to the pump... swap that filter with each tank of fuel for the first several tanks.. swap it once a season thereafter...

reinstall clean and dry fuel pump with new spin on filter on the housing, if it is equipped with a cooling line (feeds right off the thermostat neck and then to the riser) make certain that line is clear... use NEW orings.. make certain there are no leaks...

enjoy...

if you want to drop near a grand on a new pump assembly, have at it- it only takes about a half an hour to remove the old one and install the new one- but you'll need to buy the orings separate... try to find one stamped w/ date after 2010, as they're not internally painted...  the fuel doesn't need to come out of the tank unless it's old, but it may be smart to filter it- hence the additional filter. 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for the additional filter, a pretty much standard spin on head, and a good quality filter is the ticket... one large enough that you're holding enough in reserve that the pump won't run dry starving for fuel.. use liberal amounts of fuel safe thread dope or tape... a valve is a nice addition, too- like this fella's rig, but I imagine you can put something together much neater...