Options

Awesome Conversation With Rinker Executive

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't wait any longer about us getting a special category for your Rinker custom work so I thought..... I'm always telling the guys to call Rinker if they have a question, so - why don't I?

So I did - LOL

I'm so excited that I can hardly type and I am sure I have forgotten 50 % of the conversation. BUT my over riding feeling is that RINKER IS BACK!!!!!

I called Rinker asking if they could be of assistance regarding our desire to add a category to our Forum entitled "Rinker Boats Customized By Members" .

I was told that Kim Slocum was out in the factory but that his partner in the resurrection of Rinker to its glory days and beyond was a Mr. Steve Wheatley. We spoke for over 30 minutes. I outlined the huge value of the Owners' Forum to Rinker in great detail with examples of our global reach, solution to issues, amazing member customization projects and love of Rinkers.

I told him it wasn't all roses, at times we had a gripe or two but that we worked as brothers to solve issues, create work-arounds and support owners.

I also said that potential boat purchasers visit this site and as such it is a huge asset to Rinker.

I told him a major concern was to see the Rinker website up-dated with new model lines and options and in a user friendly model.

Steve got it 100%. He was tremendously positive about new product and new "refreshments" that were happening right now and that there was a re-commitment to quality and Rinker value.

He said a huge thrust has been to renew relationships with Rinker dealers and suppliers.

Kim, Steve and the new management are committed to re-launching the brand with a long term view to quality and value for money.

Steve said plans are underway for factory visits and model displays with at least 8 models on display - starting -  July15 to August15. I got an invite. He said you - all have one too.

He did not know a lot about the forum but this man is smart. He understood the value by the end of my second sentence.

He took my phone number and e.mail.

He does not know exactly how our forum is managed.....but he likes the independent nature and set-up of it and wants to help any us way that he can.

Right now he going to see if a separate category can be created to post your customization pictures/comments of your Rinkers as..... he thinks that's so cool!

I suggested the heading found in our other posts.

He said Randy is being a super help and they are very, very excited to bring Rinker back as a force to be contended with.

Steve said there was much more to follow.

He was very interested in our forum and said he "had" to visit it!

I know I have forgotten a lot. I tried to write comments down as we talked but I know I missed a lot. If I remember things, I'll post.

I have his permission to relate our conversation.

This conversation really fired me up! Man, Rinker IS back!

BTW I know you guys get this but NOTHING increases the value of your asset (boat) like a re-invigorated manufacturer committed to a long term product line enhancement!

Regards, MT

YAHOOOOOOOOOO!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Very cool indeed!  A lot of people will be following this development closely!
  • Options
    I have already received an e.mail from Steve. He wants to be able to create a category for your custom Rinker products and support your efforts.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the forum members mods become standard on future Rinkers.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could start with the wiring MT
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    MT I wonder if that is the same Steve that was running the forum a few years back before it took off. Back then Capt_Steve keep the mods quite informed on what was going on and then he was gone in a flash. I also spoke to Rinker about 5 or 6 months ago and was told that the forum was an important tool for Rinker but nobody got back to me. Could you please PM me Steve e-mail so I can reach out to him. Thanks......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    edited June 2016
    That Steve is not the same as Steve Wheatley.  He was the CEO of a manufacturing company at that time.
  • Options

Ray, I don't think it was Capt. Steve as Steve Wheatley wasn't very familiar with the forum.

In the e.mail he sent me I deduced that he had asked some questions and thought Rinker "owned" the passwords so he hoped they could access the forum's format to allow the new category. He seemed a very determined man.

I got the impression that Rinker is turning a corner in a new evolutionary form. I got the sense - Steve was very politically correct - that Rinker is mending fences and undoing harm from NG and that once relationships with suppliers and dealers had been solidified that Rinker had big plans to focus on new ideas and growth.

For those of you who own Rinkers and people looking at Rinker as a potential purchase his comments were very positive and exciting. I could sense Steve was looking to innovative and creative ways to present the brand.

IMO, very, very good news.

• Options
    edited June 2016

Ray,

I will certainly PM you Steve's e.mail. After ALL that you have done for this forum, it is YOU who should be taking this forward, not me. I just did the leg work! LOL

IF Steve, e.mails me again I will ask him to speak directly with you as you have forgotten more about this forum that I will ever know.

BTW, I hope nobody thinks I overstepped here, it was just pure excitement at the possibility of getting a special category for our custom modifications.....heck I don't have a boat anymore I have to do something with my spare time!!!!!

• Options
    Ray, I sent you a PM but if I scr*wed it up send me a PM and we'll get 'er done! LOL
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT my vote is, you should be on the Rinker payroll. Then just slide into that 400
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 I would love a 400....with the new Mercruiser Diesels!
  • Options
    MT thank you for the kind words. Its people like you and others that makes all this happen. This forum now has over 4700 members. Now a lot of them do not visit anymore but that is a real impressive number IMO. I did not get your PM I am sending you one now................. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    DanishgodDanishgod Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    can someone tell me the story - is it bennington that now owns Rinker?  There is still a lot of GN and Godfrey Marine relationships on the web. 
  • Options
    @Danishgod yes Bennington now owns Rinker and has rehired many "original" Rinker personnel. It appears Rinker is going back to the way they did business of years past. Great News for sure........... 
  • Options
    Yes @Danishgod, my impression from Steve is that Brinker would be under the Bennington "umbrella" but as a stand alone company responsible for its own destiny, as Ray says great news IMO.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that is great news for Rinker owners and anyone looking for a Rinker.  I can tell you, there are PLENTY of Rinker boats out there, so the commercial support is there. Heck on my dock, in the first 12 fingers there are 4 Rinkers! There's no other manufacturer that has that high a % in a given area (and remember it's 4 of 12, in a mix of power and SAIL boats).

For sure as they come live again, these are the priorities I'd focus on:

- engaging this forum via their new website.

- addressing customer service enquiries within 48 hours.

- demonstration that the Rinker brand is moving forward, by showing new model line ups with both appealing appointments and price point.

- a commitment that quality will be upheld on deck and hull build, as well as system installations.

Mark

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Great information @Michael T! If they do have a factory tour, I certainly will be there. I'm on my 7th Rinker with my first one being a 1984 V-170 that I bought in 1986 and just sort of kept buying different ones over the last 30 years. It would be pretty cool to see the factory and watch new models rolling off the line!
  • Options
    @frodo13056 you should mention that you would would like a tour. Maybe Steve Wheatley will announce this. If not contact me via a PM. In the meantime Steve's extension at Rinker is 5128. make sure to mention all the Rinkers you have owned and that you are a forum member. I'm 100% sure that you will be given a tour time!
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Awesome news guys!  Thanks for sharing.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme