Options

Battery Basics - Great Article!

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since a number of you have been talking about battery purchases lately I searched-out what I consider the best article ever written about battery basics. It is from the Progressive Dynamics website. PD makes the Intellipower chargers that were on my Rinker EC 130 and EC 360.

*******Give me a minute only part of the article appeared. I want the comparison between battery types and proper hook-ups........I'll re-post when I find the ENTIRE article.....sorry!

I tried to copy the site directly onto this post but because I am a technomoron I couldn't so I "think" you will have to copy and paste it or type it in yourself. Fingers crossed that should work. IOM it would be worth the effort.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/battery_basics.html

It will open to a page and on the right hand menu you click on "battery Basics" and the article should appear.

What got me thinking about this was the latest copy of Boating Magazine that I received today with an article on batteries. It was good but no where near as detailed as the one from Progressive Dynamics.

To see the Boating Magazine article you type into google www.boatingmagazine.com, click on Boating Magazine: Boat Reviews, Boat tests , Boating Tips & more. When it opens you scroll down to Gear: Optima batteries.

Hope this works. I need my 7 year old grand daughter to teach me some computer skills!

Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent! I am still going to contact Progressive Dynamics to see where the rest of the article is. There was a part ll that compared the three main types of batteries (lead acid, gel and AGM) as well it showed how to hook up battery banks for huge extra power, it was amazing. I don't know why it got shortened. I'm on a mission now to find the rest of that article! LOL
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Since I have been waiting on UPS alot lately, smaller projects on the boat have taken place., second coat of wax, shined and wax all the stainless...and FINALLY upgraded my house battery by installing a second deep cycle interstate in parallel.  Various batteries I have had over time just cannot keep up with running the stereo and amplifier and the refridgerator while sitting on the hook.  I found myself having to run the genny every four or five hours.  Now, with two deep cycles in there I should be able to sit on the hook most of the day without charging.  I forgot to take pics, but on my boat it was a tight install.  I had to trim the sides of two battery trays, screw them down and for the moment I have zip ties holding it all together.  I will put some straps in to hold them down next time over I'm there.  Is there a certain distance apart for mounting batteries?  These things are right next to each other, less than an inch apart was really the only way I could get it done in the space available.  I connected them with 2 gauge battery wires and protected the connections.  Also wondering if my charger (2005) will still see that as one battery? 
    As far I can figure, the charger shouldn't know the difference.  It will just take longer to charge....
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I recall MT posted something about wiring batteries in parallel ... attach the charger positive cable to the first battery, and the charger negative cable to the last battery.  (Instead of connecting both cables to the first battery with jumpers to the second battery.)  MT, is that correct?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I recall MT posted something about wiring batteries in parallel ... attach the charger positive cable to the first battery, and the charger negative cable to the last battery.  (Instead of connecting both cables to the first battery with jumpers to the second battery.)  MT, is that correct?
    That is correct!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    The problem with installing parallel batteries without an isolator is that the stronger(more charged) battery will deplete itself by constantly trying to charge the weaker battery. Obviously if you have some sort of charge(battery charger, alternator, etc) applied to them, this won't occur. 
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    There is an isolator installed from Rinker and a charger on my boat.