Options

Batteries - leave on or not?

JstewJstew Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
310FV.  When I leave the dock for extended period of time (with the shore power connected) do I leave the batteries on with the charger on or do I shut them off?  Usually, it's several weeks between visits to the boat.  :(

Comments

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    i leave mine on. the battery charger will take care of them
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    It's probably best to leave them on with the charger.  You want them to be fully charged at all times in case there's an emergency that needs the bilge pumps.

If any of them are conventional flooded-cell batteries, make sure you top off the water 2-3 times per season.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    I never touch my battery switches once the boat is floating. on on on
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your boat is in the water, and you have Mercury drives, the Mercathode will drain your batteries fast without a charger on. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely with the charger on shore power leave the batteries on. There are no issues with this that I've experienced over the past 4 seasons with my Rinker. Charger keeps the batteries topped up, and the systems use the batteries as needed.

I believe the hot wired connections (engine bilge, mid berth bilge, mercathode) by-pass the switch anyhow, as they are emergency/protection systems.  I think that even if the switch is off, these systems are still powered.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Shore Power on to keep the batteries charged or the "always on" systems could kill your batteries. There are true stories of Mercathode and other power scavenging systems killing the batteries and bilge pumps having no power resulting in boats flooding and some sinking! Shore power on.
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    pretty sure when switch is off charger is still charging batteries regardless 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmichels said:

I thought that's how it's set up also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    JBam67JBam67 Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Me personally, always leave them on. Never touch them until the Fall.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    aero3113 said:
    jmichels said:

I thought that's how it's set up also.
    That's how it works. Charger always charges as long as the charger is on.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% just don't disconnect those shore power cords!
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    and this discussion is the exact reason why I removed that dang battery switch. I now have one dedicated start battery and one dedicated house battery..   I can now run the house battery until it is flat and not worry about what position the switch is in to start the boat