Options

What oil?

russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
what oil would you recommend for a 5..7 Volvo GI/E petrol engine?
My mechanic said to use 25/40 fully synthetic but in the uk it's nearly impossible to track down. Just wondered is there an equivalent?

help appreciated
Russ

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

How about Mercruiser semi-synthetic? Is it easier to get?

BTW we have some REALLY extensive discussions in the forum archives if you search them. I'd try engine oil.

So, Russell I did a search of forum posts and there is a fair bit of discussion about "what oil?" ....opinions vary so it will be your call.

I think most of us agreed that the frequency of your oil changes would depend on your usage and that a quality oil filter with a check valve was best. Opinions on synthetic versus other options varied.

Just about every marine/automotive oil on the market has some synthetic in it or it would not pass EPA regulations for mileage (its slipperier).

The question for you remains just how much synthetic do I want in my oil?

Maybe the past forum discussions will assist you with your decision.

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I use Royal Purple 30W.  Any synthetic that meets the specs required for your engine (available on VP site) would likely be okay.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I said this somewhere before (or did I read it?), there is a little old engineer sitting in a corner somewhere with a slide rule and pocket protector that has spent his whole career figuring out what was the best oil for the motors his company produced...I have 50 bucks of Amsol (which I know is a good product) I was "sold". I could not verify through Amsol that it was approved for my motor. Next day was down at the mercruiser shop.... 
  • Options
    russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Thank you I'll have a look through the archives. Just had a service and oil change about 15 hours ago so no rush but want to keep a litre onboard for safety. I'll look through. Thanks again