Options

Lower Miss River and Ohio River

Hi, Planning trip from New Madrid to KY LAke and then on to Louisville.  Does anyone know list of marinas and fueling stations.  I hear they are far apart.  Plan the night in New Madrid (we will put in there quite late) then on to Cairo and down Tenn River to KY Lake.  2 weeks there of fun.  Then home to Louisville.  Any other tips would be great.

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BarryYLouisville, there is a local site to Louisville called PortKY. It was recently merged with Boatlocal.com. The guys on there have some great insight as to what is around that area.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry if you have ohio river charts they are on there, or i can get you a list, living in the middle of your trip, haveing made several trips to and from KY/Barkley lake up to Ohio. you will not have any trouble getting gas. on one spot on the Ohio there is 100+- between fuel. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    KYSEANKYSEAN Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    You should be able to make it Evansville, In. from Ky Lake. Refuel in Evansville.
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0
  • Options
    If you need supplies, beer, or something in or around the Evansville In, area. I can meet you at a marina and bring the supplies, When are you going to make this trip? And what boat do you have?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    If you go to the southern portion of KY Lake, I highly recommend Leatherwood.  Its just a few miles south of the 79 Bridge.  And don't forget, the northern portion of the lake is mostly in a "dry" county.  Can't buy beer or anything up there.  We kept the boat there while I was working in TN a couple summers ago.  They have live music on the weekends and a decent little bar/eatery.  Good people.
  • Options
    BarryYLouisvilleBarryYLouisville Member Posts: 10

Randy, thanks for the tips and info.  I'd love some help from you.  I have not been able to figure out where marinas and fuel stops are located.  I had wanted to put in at New Madrid, MO but called the town hall and they don't have a marina.  Seems odd.  Have to have a marina as the first night we put in late and will have to just turn into a slip and sleep.  So, journey is from "somewhere down the Miss River (where there is a marina) and next day travel the 100 miles up to Cairo, along the Ohio, down the TN River and into Lake Barkley.  Might break that up into 2 days.  310EC holds 147 gals gas and at 3500 rpm's/29 mph burns 21 gals per hour.  So have about 5 hours before fill ups - say 150 miles. (Hope I have all that math correct).  So need say 1 stop somewhere on the Ohio, before Paducah to fill up.  And need 1 spot to stop.  But big deal is a marina on Miss River to sleep the first night - had hoped New Madrid would work.

• Options

Randy, 2 weeks later - we will travel about 400 miles to Louisville (Limestone) and that looks like 5 locks, many fuel stops and 1 or 2 nights in a marina sleeping.

Would love your help for marinas and fuel stops.

• Options
    My charts are on my boat, I 'll get them and report back, Going to Barkley this weekend as I have a slip rented there this month. We trailer back Sunday. Not to sure about marina on Miss, will find out when I'm there this weekend. yes you will have 5 locks to Louisville. When are you making this trip? Ya you may want to do a short 50/  100 mile trip around home base an check your milage. or maybe someone with a 310 will tell ya. you must be new to this boat. One marina you will stop at on the ohio is Galconda IL that is the first one after leaving the lake heading home they close gas dock early 4:30. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options

Thx Randy.  New boat.  Bought it in Branson and transporting it to Miss River to put in - then on to Lake Barkley for 2 weeks.  We traded up from a 250 Sea Ray EC.

Thx for having a look to help me.

We are driving to Branson July 1st to use it on Table Rock.  Good idea to verify gas consumption.

July 13th we will put in and July 14 and 15 make our way up the Miss River to eventually Lake Barkley.

Thx

• Options
    Ok Leaving for lake today, will not be back on forum till Sunday afternoon. I will PM you with info, may want to take this off forum. Since its its non related, to everyone. Raybo may have me arrested.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    For your info you might like to look into.  On our 2010 trip, we had the following books for the mid west river system.

Army Corps of Engineers:       Upper Mississippi River Navigation Charts  (wire binder book form)
    Army Corps of Engineers        Charts of the Illinois Waterway   (wire binder book form)
    Army Corps of Engineers        Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway Charts   (wire binder book form)
    Army Corps of Engineers        Cumberland River Navigation Charts   (wire binder book form)
    Army Corps of Engineers        Lower Black Warrior-Tombigbee Charts   (wire binder book form)

Copies may be obtained from:

"The District Engineer"
    U.S. Army Engineer District, Mobile
    Corps of Engineers
    P.O. Box 2288
    Mobile, Alabama 36628
    Attn: LO-SR

These are excellent publications and were dead on accurate on our trip.  They say "Payment should accompany request" but I do not know what the prices currently are.  Also, there is no contact phone number on the copies I have.
  • Options
    Barry, sent you a PM did you get it?
    Boat Name :