Options

Pump out trouble- help/advice

Went to pump out yesterday after over filling toilet to point it was leaking out vent and waste cap.  (wasn't happy about this, girls were having party on boat).  Anyhow, we were unable to pump out, toilet flushes completely but waste line seems blocked.  Pump was unable to suck anything out.  What do I do?  Marina stuck hose in waste line and it had some paper on end which made him think maybe a block in the line?  Do I try a snake? Plunger?  Not happy, this is a real **** situation. Lol
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has is been a long time since you had a pump out?  If you let it sit in the tank it can get mucky enough to not pump out. Plunger won't do you any good on the pumpout side. You can try a snake from the pumpout side, just don't get aggressive. FYI feminine products just don't go well going down the toilet. Had a few slipmates had that fun one to fix. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure the pump at the marina was working? It happen to me last year, had to go to differant marina, just a thought. ended up putting in a mancerator pump. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    We have had several pump outs this year.  It's hard to say if their pump is working, however they pumped all day without any other troubles. 

• Options
    Can anyone advise if i can safely snake the waste drain line and vent lines?  I assume they run direct to the tank.  Is this correct?

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance that the vent is so full of crap that it is not letting air in and thus the waste won't come out? 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Anything is possible.  Thats why i am hoping someone can suggest or point me in the best direction to relieve this situation.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point in feminine products going down there is a good one, that is a major no no. I've seen guys have to pull all hoses off and snake to find used stuff clogging hoses. Nasty. One of my dock mates was just telling me this weekend to always use the $$ biodegradable toilet paper. I've historically used it but ran out and have used a roll of Aldi one ply for the last month and he said that it will get caught and to go back to bio. Are you using the marine/rv TP? Walmart has it for $2.50 a 4 pack. If I were you I would start by disconnecting the vent to see if that lets her pump out. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    You can try and use a shop vac (but make sure no one is around...lol) and see if you get anything out. You could also try to swap the hose on the vac and put it on the exhaust then put it on the waste and see if you blow air out of the vent. Do not do for a long time but just enough to see if it blows air. If the air comes back out where you put the hose then you have a clog. Just be careful......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you crawl into the storage area under the port seating, you can open the deck plate and see the tank and the vent line. Even if the vent line was clogged, the tank would pump out, just collapse your tank (not so good). The vent line goes into a right angle fitting, would be hard to snake, you could try the wet/dry vac on it. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Turned out to be there pump,  of course that's real easy to tell them.  They found leak in pump and now all is fine 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

Great news!  just so you know, you can always blow into the vent line as well if needed.  This can help clear anything in the way.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    My lips are not going anywhere near that vent line.  I seen pee leaking out of there.  Lol

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    LOL! Shop vac can blow as well.  just glad it is working.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭