Options

"I think we are going under"

That was the first words a guy said to me this past weekend when we noticed their older bayliner was almost fully submerged. Him and his teenage son where fishing along side some cliffs luckily close to the marina. We had just witnessed a pontoon being towed in by another boat and we were on our way to meet up with some friends. My wife noticed the two bailing water and no one was stopping to help, I headed over got as close as I could without causing a wake and jumped in with my bail bucket in hand. We bailed water for about 45 minutes and I tied my two large fenders to the transom hoping to keep the stern from going under. Finally water patrol showed up and they were able to tow them to the dock but the boat was still under water. We were able to trans load most of their valuables on our boat and we followed them to the dock. There we spent another hour and I ran lines and straps to the transom and underneath the outboard to the tow boat trying to get the boat above the water line. Eventually after more bailing and use of straps and redneck engineering the boat was above the water line and was not taking on anymore water. I was thanked over and over by the owners and water patrol for helping out. Was my first experience with a sinking vessel and I could not believe how many other boaters passed us not even slowing down, only two others stopped to ask how they could help out. It just amazed me how little assistance they got from others and how much the rangers were thanking me, aren't we all supposed to look out for each other and lend a hand or a bucket in this case whenever someone is in need? Other than that awesome weekend before I deploy this week.
2007 230 ECC 350 Mag MPI Alpha 1

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right on ! You did the right thing, Have helped many others in my day pulling them home, pumping water, delivering gas, your a good boater, and I do not know others pass them by, seen it many times also.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't understand how someone could just drive by and not offer help.  This past weekend a woman's toddler maybe 1 years old fell into the water on the docks.  Playing up and down the gate entrance way...which i would say is not a good place.  No life preserver on!!! Luckily there were people with them that jumped in and rescued the little girl....but there were numerous people near by who came running.

Scary for that mom...but kids needs to have their life preserves on anywhere near water.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job! I thought it was maritime law that if you see a boater in distress you are required to assist.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Any boater with a brain and/or a heart would have stopped as you did.  Well done.  

However, I always thought that if I see a vessel in obvious, immediate danger, I'm legally obligated to assist (without putting myself in danger).  Maybe I'm wrong.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Great job in helping out. Above and beyond the call of duty. I had a little "mishap" myself this weekend. I was coming of a dock broad side in a very strong wind when some complete A$$h#&e in his junked up bridge boat turns the corner leaving a huge wake and headed straight for me giving me no room and then pasted me and headed out to open water leaving me to "chunk" my swim platform. Needles to say it takes all types to make the world go around. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    People are unreal man. Todyas society makes me sick! Glad to hear you did the right thing. Hopefully someone will return the gesture if you're ever in need!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did you figure out why it was taking on water- you said you all bailed and got the boat back above the water line but why did the water stop coming in? Great job, people just are nice....Karma will get them!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think it's a legal requirement to assist on inner coastal waters here... I know it it offshore- all boats have to respond to maydays... 

it's crappy nonetheless that nobody assisted. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Pittsburgh we don't have any towing services, so we all try to help each other out. I feel it is bad karma to not help out a fellow boater that is stranded on the water. Kudos to you for jumping in and helping bail. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Great job helping out! I had an explosion on mine a few years back. My family in the water and boats just going past. Sure has made me to be more aware to help where I can.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    usafaviatorusafaviator Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    The guy had maybe an 18ft deck type bayliner with a old 200 hp on the back as well as a 5hp trolling motor.  For some reason they were both at the stern when a boat came by and swamped them.  He had two batteries but said his bilge never came on.  I really dont think that boat was rated for that size engine especially two. 
    2007 230 ECC 350 Mag MPI Alpha 1