Options

Plumbing leak...

Had a great weekend on the boat except when we turned on galley pump. We found the carpet soaked along the port shelves in the rear cuddy cabin. Dried it out and turned pump on and again, soaked along that line all the way to the panel. Possibly a split in the water line that feeds the galley sink? Anyone know the route of the hot and cold to the sink?

Comments

• Options
    NorthernmichNorthernmich Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    It's not the water lines - my mechanic pulled the shelf where the lines run ans also an electrical harness is behind there and no splits. Now I'm suspecting the rub rail or the aft stanchion that dives into the deck. How much of a pain is it to re-caulk the rubrail ??
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Has it been raining????? Turn on the pump and see if it shuts off and stays off. If it turns on by itself then you have a leak. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    We had a terrific rainstorm the prior week, but the Mrs.didn't notice water there.  Once the galley pump pressurizes the lines, it shuts off. If it cycles then its a leak, Correct?

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the pump shuts off and stays off, not a leak from the pressurized lines. 

I'd check the shower sump, bilge pump(s) and toilet water pump. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    We had a terrific rainstorm the prior week, but the Mrs.didn't notice water there.  Once the galley pump pressurizes the lines, it shuts off. If it cycles then its a leak, Correct?

Correct...........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    So i may have take a water hose to each stanchion, power cord outlet and rubrail one by one to whittle it down. That does not define a fun weekend.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    I've read about putting a big fan in the cabin door to pressurize the cabin, and then using soapy water to look for bubbles.  Never done it, but it makes sense.  You'd have to close all the windows, seal the edges of the door and around the fan ...

It would be a PITA for sure, but maybe easier and more reliable than spraying and looking for leaks into the cabin.
  • Options
    Update - our mechanic caulked the entire top edge of the rub rail (plastic-to fiberglass) with 4200 and that seemed to do it, until we had a thunderburst Saturday night. We felt a little bit of dampness right below the breaker panel. Steve from Petoskey West Marine suggested i take a hard look at the galley porthole. I pulled it out partway and did find some wet core. So i re-caulked both portholes on the port side and hope this is the fix! Heading to Traverse City for the Cherry Festival and hope to be "bone dry" for it...