Options

2003 Rinker 270 FV Odor when flushing toilet.

2»

Answers

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    You could put it in a nylon sock... I used mesh filters at each end of the pipe. Think I would use a sock next time though. 
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    my charcoal is just in the pipe, i used fluval to contain the charcoal in the pipe. i just cut a couple of pieces to put in the ends.
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Duane- exact same stuff I used. 
  • Options
    JohnCostellloJohnCostelllo Member Posts: 68
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Tried to buy a Big Orange Original filter last week but they were sold out.  They lost a sale and I saved some money.  I built my own this weekend per this thread.  Thanks to everyone for sharing your ideas!!.  The improvement in foul odor is remarkable!  We went out on Saturday without the filter and winced whenever the head was flushed.  Yesterday, with filter installed, head usage was unnoticeable.  

My design:  2 ft length of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe.  I cut a 3/4 inch hole in each caps to accept the 1/2 NPT brass threads of the fittings.  I used an elbow on the end connecting to the vent.  I used a tee on the end connecting to the tank.  The 3 ends of the tee are connected as follows: 1-the filter, 2-the tank, 3-capped(will add check valve).  I decided to copy the idea of adding a bypass valve (a check valve) to eliminate the risk of tank collapse during pump out.  I had some filter media that I cut to size to go in the ends to keep the charcoal in place.  I used about 14 oz of activated charcoal.    

Afterthought:  This project could have been done a bit cheaper if I had a 1/2 inch NPT tap as I would have used nylon fittings instead of brass.  
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a well deserved reputation here for being crass and vulgar at times, but this isn't one of those times... this is a serious comment... 

there is a product on the market called "trap-a-crap".... and it works... I brought a bottle to work thinking I was being funny- but.... the office manager now has it on the list right along with TP, paper towels, light bulbs, and printer supplies... 

I wager a hold filled with a bottle of this once or twice a season, after pump-outs, will improve the atmosphere around the decks on docks.... 
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @212rowboat, I agree. That stuff does work! That brand also makes a verity of scents.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    @212rowboat - we have a bottle of this at home although its a more feminine flavor/bottle.

I have tried a few of the holding tank deodorizers/additives and they did not solve the problem but the vent filter has (at least for now).
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a picture of this installed? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭