Options

Proper Winch Size

elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
I have a 246CC with a 5050lb dry weight so say with a full tank and gear it's easily 5500lbs. 

The Trailmaster trailer it came on is a bunk style trailer and the winch it came with has always felt very under capable to me.  The winch itself is rated only for 1800lbs, only about 1/3rd of the boat weight. 

I've googled the heII out of this and called eTrailer to get their input.  All signs online point to 1/3 of boat weight being ok for the winch ONLY if it's a roller trailer and not typically used on steep launches.  Short of that they suggest 50% of boat weight with a roller trailer and 100% of boat weight with a bunk??  Doesn't seem right as that would mean a winch rated for 5500 lbs for me and even more for 27' cruisers???

thoughts?
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    The trailer winch does not bear the full weight of the boat, even with the bunk trailer.  The rating is what it can pull or drag so it's not the boat's weight, much of which is supported by the water when you launch.  The 1/3 rule of thumb is typical.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Its meant to pull the boat to the tongue of the trailer when you're loading the boat. Its not supposed to pull the weight of the boat. And of course while underway when trailering
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wet bunks are slicker than dry bunks... it's a lot easier to pull the boat on than it is to drop it... 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you call Trailmaster, they will be able to give you their thoughts. I am a fan of their trailers and a lot of Rinker boats are set on them since they build the trailers not to far from the Rinker factory. Their website is also very good at giving you info on all of the parts that they put on the trailer. I have talked with them before and they are very nice to deal with.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    Thanks guys...I get the fact it doesn't red to lift the entire boat weight BUT I also know that using the one I have feels like it's going to snap in pieces and it's rated for 1800. 

I called Trailmasterthis afternoon...they told me the 1800lb should not be on the trailer with a 5500lb boat.  They suggested 1/2 boat weight unless I regularly used launches that didn't allow me to get 3/4 or more of the bunk in the water.  
  • Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    on my trailmaster trailer I installed the slick nylon pads on the bunks, full coverage, and stepped up to a 2 speed fulton F2 at 2000lbs winch, I needed more pull since my rotator cuff surgery and love the fulton, so easy to use, no more straining shoulder just down shift and go plus I can crank up the boat even if bunks are dry with the slick pads. my boat is a 212 captiva with a 300hp mpi at 3500lbs.