Options

How to minimize corrosion on the bearing carrier assembly?

MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
Behind the forward propeller on my Bravo 3 drive I noticed some corrosion on the exposed edge of the bearing carrier assembly.  Is there a recommended paint or other coating that can be used to minimize corrosion in this location?

Thanks,
MDboater

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the correct anodes on?  In good condition?  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Do you have the correct anodes on?  In good condition?  
    I keep/use the boat in the brackish waters of the rivers feeding the northern Chesapeake.  I had the marina put on new anodes last year however, I don't know if they put on zinc or aluminum.  I am installing new aluminum anodes this year. 

• Options
     Also, the outdrive was replaced mid 2013.  Is this amount of corrosion reasonable following 2 1/2 seasons of use?
  • Options
    Given the few options (poor selection) at my local West Marine and my need to get the job done soon, I used 2 coats of Interlux InterProtect 2000E followed by a coat of antifouling paint.  I'll let you know how it looks in the fall.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI: POR-15 works great. You can get the prep solution from them too. Bonus: POR-15 is good underwater!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    That does not look normal for 2 seasons. I'm guessing you have stray current in your marina close by. Have you checked that your mercathode is working?
    I have some pitting as well and it looks very similar to yours. However my drive is original from 2005 used in salt the last 5 years. I have been putting primocon on the past few seasons and it has really helped. 
  • Options
    Craigswardmtb:

Thank you for your comments.   I am suspicious of the mercathode and trying to figure out how to test it.  It can be tested using a mercruiser tester.  It would surprise me if there isn't another solution. 
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

I am the new owner of this boat now and I found out the mercathode was cracked and not working properly.  I am having it replaced and hopefully the corrosion stops or slows down.  Just a reminder to check your mercathodes!! 

@MDboater

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270