Options

what do you do?

2»

Comments

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I did not know that, wonderful to know thank you.

Just bought a mounted VHF with DSC but handheld does not.  Was thinking of swapping out for one with.  Especially for those kayak days.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have (had) a radio hooked up wtih DSC, and then a portable floating radio. Hit the DSC and if you have to abondon ship, maintain communication with the handheld.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    The Coast Guard has now suspended the search for the boys.  Just hate to see this sort of thing happen.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as a young Marine detached to the coast guard and operating in the caribbean, they responded to a capsized boat off the coast of Haiti... the five other guys and I tagged along out of boredom.  

they had nothing for survival... several were recovered clinging to the hull and would still be out there these 20+ years later if it weren't for a fishing vessel that radio'd it in and went along their way like nothing happened or was happening...

three days later and while sitting in one of the birds, the swimmers scooped a body and sent it up affixed to a hook... a freakin' hook through the chest cavity closer to the left shoulder than center... zipped him right up the boom and pulled him into the bird... there wasn't an inch of this kid that didn't have a crab latched on at some point.  many still dangling from him looking at us like we were stealing Christmas from them.  

it's one of the more disturbing things I've encountered.  

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Depending on the situation, I would make a decision whether to help directly and radio the Coast Guard or just radio the Coast Guard and stand off.  So far, my rescuing experience consists of helping a damsel (young and good looking) who was lost on her jet ski find her way back to her launch point. 
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Here is an idea that I use with our "throw able cushion."  I have a lightweight floating lanyard attached so I can retrieve and re throw if needed or can throw past the victim and drag the lanyard into him.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Here's another angle:  good boaters don't let their fellow boaters do dumb things.  

Surely, people in that guy's marina knew he was unprepared for an offshore voyage in bad weather.  I'm not laying blame on his neighbors, but maybe they could have said or done something.  I mean, talk him out of it, or loan the guy an EPIRB or handheld radio.  

Boaters need to look out for each other.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just can't fix stupid.