Options

brass water pump replacement

shessshess Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
I have the old brass water pump on my 2003 350 mag mpi.  When changing the impeller, mechanic noticed some scoring and said the pump would need to be replaced soon.  The alarm went off yesterday when out on the water indicating overheating situation.  What is the recommended replacement pump.  I seem to remember reading on here that there is a better option than the brass pump.  I'm hoping when I get this fixed, it will solve my other current problem of engine going into guardian mode above 2800 rpms.  New fuel water sep,, new inline fuel filter, new plugs, distributor cap, etc. I'm assuming if the pump isn't supplying enough water, that could be the problem.  If not, one of the fuel pumps or fuel regulator perhaps?

Comments

• Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    There are a couple of options: One would be to replace your existing pump with a stainless steel unit from Hardin Marine. Another option is to order an aftermarket repair kit that has steel plates that are installed in the existing pump that cover the grooved thrust surfaces in your brass pump. Several people on the forum have posted these modifications with good results. Try searching the forum for "sea water pump" and I'm sure you will find many examples. Additionally, others who have made this change will undoubtedly see your post and chime in soon. Good luck!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    www.hardin-marine.com 
  • Options
    shessshess Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    thanks for the info.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Merc makes a plastic hose inlet replacement with the wear plate as well. If you go to the Mercury parts finder web site, you can pull the part numbers and google them to get the exact parts. You just need your engine serial number to look everything up. I carry a spare plate and impeller on the boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!