Options

Annual Long Haul!

Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
So, Tuesday we are heading out with our 246 Captiva and our Lives with Us granddaughter for the 450 mile journey from East Central Iowa to Table Rock Lake in Missouri. We take one extended trip per season. Last year was Dale Hollow Lake in Tennessee, and the year before, Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. Hopefully this year will be less trouble than last when I had trailer brake calipers fail on two wheels. One was replaced at the marina, the other broke off along the highway at around 10:00pm in "Middle of Nowhere" Missouri and we hobbled to an all night truck stop where a young fellow happened to have a hydraulic jack in his trunk. We jacked up the wheel enough to get it off and removed the loose caliper captured between the rotor and the wheel rim, but the brake line was severed so we had no trailer brakes. We were fortunate this was after midnight when we got back on the road, so basically, no traffic, and we limped back into town about 3:00 am. The proverbial "Trip from ****!!" This year, trailer has all new calipers secured with grade 8 bolts and red thread lock. Upgraded tow vehicle too, 2500HD Silverado LTZ, opposed to former Z71 Tahoe, so hopefully, all should go smoothly. Keeping fingers crossed for favorable weather!

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great trip! Be safe!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    much better tow truck may not need brakes so bad. have a safe trip!
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    RinkerRookieRinkerRookie Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Ah, Table Rock Lake!!!  Fond memories of being there a couple times as a kid.  First trip there taught my dad that you have to let your trailer wheel bearings cool off before backing her onto the ramp.  ENJOY!!!
    Fin and Tonic (w/Lime)...
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a safe and fun trip!  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for it! Read my post on buying my boat and bringing it home...will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, it was crazy but really had no problems...could have been a nightmare for sure......have fun!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Hope the trip is going well.  Share some photos when you got them.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    dhlOASISdhlOASIS Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip. What did you think about Dale Hollow Lake?  
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    @dhlOASIS, we loved Dale Hollow Lake. We had our 246 down there for motoring around on the lake and we rented an 85' houseboat from East Port Marina (at the far end of the lake, but they had the nicest houseboats by far). Table Rock Lake was great. All went well, no breakdowns of any sort, boat, trailer or truck, so I'm smilin'. We're actually thinking of buying land and building our retirement home down there. Many lakes in the area, Table Rock, Bull Shoals, Beaver, Norfork, and the winters would be milder than what we routinely experience in Iowa.