Extra space in v berth cushions

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
Does anyone else have a space like this in their cushions?  It's makes sleeping pretty uncomfortable.  I'm thinking of getting some foam padding and cutting to fit.

Is this a common problem?

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    There is no space in my cushions... Looks uncomfortable. 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't get it.  You can't really mess up putting the cushions in place right?  They only fit one way...like a puzzle.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have gaps like that but there are some narrow seams. We use 2 ply foam padding on top to make it more pillow top like, much more comfortable 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

I don't see how else they could go. Seems like something is missing. Mine are a different setup than yours. 
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the exact same space on my 270... 
  • DazeOffDazeOff Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem and made a piece to fit in the middle. Makes a big difference.
    Very interesting.  How in the world would they think a space like that is okay?  I'm going to make something to fill the gap....crazy.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Mine look like chamberb's.  Wal-mart 2.5inch full size foam mattress topper.  Cut to fit. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 05 270 does not have that- maybe wrong model /year cushions?
    Interesting that @diggin2day1 said he has the same space as I do.  Maybe there was a run of cushions where Rinker messed up?  I supposed they could be the wrong cushions for the boat.  Who knows.  Up until last weekend we stuffed shirts or whatever we had to fill the gap.  Tired of that.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Yea, that would blow!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skennelly, we do not use the table down there, so went to walmart and bought 6 inch mattress, will take pictures and post on new custom projects in a day or so, cut to fit. I cannot believe you could even sleep on that. unless you've had a few.
    Boat Name : 

Ha ha.  Like I said we would stuff whatever had...extra bedsheets ect to fill the void.  I'm ready to do something about it.  Please post the picks I'd love to see them.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Is the issue that you can't get the cushions to meet or that they spread apart during use?  Mine spread apart during use (2003 270FV).  I have considered sewing velcro to the edges where the two cushions meet in the forward part of the vee.  

It always made more sense to me to sleep with your head at the wider part of the vee (my upper body needs more room than my feet).  The problem is that the bed slopes down to the aft.  To offset this I bought an angled memory foam mattress topper (to raise the aft relative too the forward).  The product is PureRest Living Hi-Lo Memory Foam Mattress Pad Incline 1.5" to 4.5" (available on Amazon).  The King size was a decent fit and I trimmed the sides using an electric carving knife.  FYI, the pad ships compressed and it takes several days opened for it to regain its shape.  I returned one that did not fully expand.  

It's still not enough to make sleeping head aft comfortable but it makes sleeping head forward much more comfortable and it solves the problem of the cushions separating.  We roll up the pad and store it on the aft bed when not in use.  It takes up a ton of space and is a bear to move around but it makes sleeping on the boat much nicer.
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Skennelly - My 270 is a 2002 also. 
    @MDboater the cushions just don't fit together ever.  

@diggin2day1 Wife and I tend to sleep port to starboard lately if that makes sense.  Wife is short enough and it's just barely wide enough for me to stretch out.

We also sometimes sleep in the aft cabin...that's pretty comfortable just hard when the bathroom calls at night.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    @diggin2day1 seriously must be a 2002 issue
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    @MDboater the cushions just don't fit together ever.  
    If you relocate the two half horseshoe shaped cushions so that they touch then the two larger cushions should meet at the bow.
    I'll give it a try this weekend.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    mine do fit together and there is velcro there to hold them together- sure sounds like somehow ones with this problem are just the wrong ones!
  • BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    MDboater said:
    Is the issue that you can't get the cushions to meet or that they spread apart during use?  Mine spread apart during use (2003 270FV).  I have considered sewing velcro to the edges where the two cushions meet in the forward part of the vee.  

It always made more sense to me to sleep with your head at the wider part of the vee (my upper body needs more room than my feet).  The problem is that the bed slopes down to the aft.  To offset this I bought an angled memory foam mattress topper (to raise the aft relative too the forward).  The product is PureRest Living Hi-Lo Memory Foam Mattress Pad Incline 1.5" to 4.5" (available on Amazon).  The King size was a decent fit and I trimmed the sides using an electric carving knife.  FYI, the pad ships compressed and it takes several days opened for it to regain its shape.  I returned one that did not fully expand.  

It's still not enough to make sleeping head aft comfortable but it makes sleeping head forward much more comfortable and it solves the problem of the cushions separating.  We roll up the pad and store it on the aft bed when not in use.  It takes up a ton of space and is a bear to move around but it makes sleeping on the boat much nicer.

Thanks!! Just ordered one of these
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

:D@BellevilleMXZ that post was from last year.  I own MD's boat now and the mattress topper.  I have yet to try the mattress topper but I will soon.

I did notice the gap the other day though!

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270