Options

Changing impeller on Kohler generator

JstewJstew Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
2000 310FV.  My kohler generator (no sound box) quit pumping water and obviously shut down.  I'm told that it is likely in need of a new impeller.  My issue is that the impeller is on the side of the generator with only 3 inches or so of clearance to the bulkhead.  Not enough room to get a socket wrench in there to remove the plate.  And once the plate is off, not enough room to get pliers in there to remove the old impeller. Any tips or tricks on how best to do this?  

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about your set up, but, once you get in there behind the water pump is a coupler between the motor and the pump- make sure you change that too. My first time replaced the impeller and still did not work-couper was also bad an fell apart so the impeller did not turn! You only want to do it once!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like my set up.  I can lay on the soundbox though.  Once you pull the access cover off and then the pump cover plate, you can pull the whole pump off, do note the coupling Rasbury mentioned.  If you lost any pieces of the impeller, you will need to backflush them out through the anode hole in the heat exchanger.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    you might need to disconnect the hoses for better clearance.  The impeller housing will come right off the side of the motor once you get those four bolts out.  With the impeller housing off it is easy to push the old impeller out from the back.  Once you get the housing off, don't forget to check for pieces of impeller inside the motor, I used a flashlight and a small mirror to make sure I could see inside.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone.  @rasbury, is the coupler you mention part 15 in this pic?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I remember on my 2001, 310 there was not much room between the right side of the generator (where the impeller is) and the bulk head. There was just enough though where I could get my arm and a wrench in there to remove the 4 bolts to open the housing and switch out the impeller. I may have had to use a mirror to really see. Not fun but very possible. Just be careful, I dropped a bolt when taking it out and never found it, had to just run to the hardware store to find a replacement. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Yes, I've changed it a couple times on my old 2002 310.  It was even tighter with the sound shield.  If you set a mirror in there, it may help.  4 bolts with a small ratchet will work.  I also believe removing the hose will help.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I'm 6'2" about 230 (i.e. large mammal  :o).  It's gonna be tight but I'll give it a try. 
  • Options
    I think I found the culprit....the coupler. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    famous for failure
  • Options
    $5 part. I keep spares. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have a spare as well....do the impeller while your there...
  • Options
    while I was at the store getting my new coupler the other day, the parts guy said those black ones are notorious for splitting.  the newer yellow ones are slightly more durable, he says.  Any truth to that?  Since I had never replaced a coupler before today (genny has 270 hours on it, 11 years old), I had no idea how easy it is.  BTW: Full retail at a marine store will cost ya $12 for the same part!  I paid the price, but now I will order some online for spares.  Much cheaper.
  • Options
    I have a few yellow ones in my spares box.  So, my next time around replacing the impeller I will replace that too.  I'm assuming it's in there somewhere behind the impeller?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Dream,

It is directly behind the impeller housing, actually no need to even take the impeller housing off.  Two bolts, hex head, top and bottom...(I had to buy more tools)...If for some reason the coupler breaks before it comes off, I learned that the plate (with the hole in it leading to the coupler) comes off with just two bolts.  I had to fish the pieces out with my fingers, using a pretty small circular hole.  I didn't learn it comes off so easily till later.
  • Options
    Thanks Navy!  I'll have to look at a parts diagram.

• Options
    viper3881viper3881 Member Posts: 16
    My 330 was the same way. I just got a screw driver (flathead) and gently slipped it off. I squirted some Dawn soap and water on the old impeller and the thing came off like butter. For what its worth all fins on my impeller where gone so nothing to really grab on to. I made sure I was careful NOT to scratch the inside hosing of the impeller with the screw driver. 
  • Options
    Newer ones are yellow. Not sure if they changed the compound. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI