Options

The idiot before me

So I bought this boat about a year ago and have slowly been fixing certain little problems. Now it's time to fix the wiring of the 3 batteries! Im running 3 amps and just upgraded all of them this year. So now it is time to tackle the wiring, I am upgrading from 4 gauge to 1/0 gauge power and ground wires. But that's a side note.

When I am looking at the batteries in the rear of the boat it is a complete mess! I have not idea what goes to what and especially have not idea what in the **** all the fuses and wires coming out of the perko operate. I am a long time car audio installer and usually it is straight forward how to wire things, but I am at a lose on where to start. I believe I have identified the isolator, I kind of know what's going on with the perko, I have identified the circuit breaker for the amp power wire, and I know that the two larger batteries are wired in parallel. But as you notice there is just a mess of wire coming out of the perko that for the life of me I can not figure out why they are there, they have nothing to do with the upgraded stereo. Are these factory wires?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Pics are a huge head start but details about what make and year that your new boat is would be important to possibly locate a manual or even a wiring diagram.

And welcome to the forum.

Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    HOLY CRAP  X_X

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Hey Mike welcome to the RBOC. The first thing I would do is label every wire there is. Then go back and start cleaning them up one at time. Just take your time and draw a nice drawing of what you have. I dont think is as bad as it looks. Good luck and keep us posted.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    It looks like those fuses are all for things that don't run through your fuse panel like bilge pump, radio memory,mercathode etc... These things do not shut down when you turn off your batteries. From what I can see it all looks pretty factory to me. Actually it all looks pretty simple compared to a bigger boat.
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    mikemoore55mikemoore55 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys! It's a 246 R2 we love the boat, but with anything used just a few things that need to be straightened out to get up to my standards lol Going to tackle it this weekend, and I like the labeling idea! And no I don't have a manual or wiring diagram. But if anyone has the specs that would be great!!
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Guest Battery Switch Instillation

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭

Basically you have a larger boat with out a selector box.  You have nearly every DC option that a 282 has but no shore power.  So, your 246 did not get a selector box and has fuses rather than circuit breakers.  So I am just going by memory here so I might miss a couple

Helm power, Auto bilge, stereo memory, amp.  The relay is not OEM nor is the flag breaker.  I can also tell you should also have silent choice exhaust.    Good luck  Al

Undercover,  Alswagg