Options

corroded ground block

duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
i have an 06' 250ec, i am getting noise in the stereo when i turn on the 12v fans on the starboard side only. i found the ground block in the bilge mounted on the transom and it is corroded pretty good. i sprayed with some pb blaster to pull the screws and start cleaning it up but they are brass and starting to strip. any idea on how to free up the brass screws so that i can clean the ground block? CLR? should i just cut the connectors  off of the wires and buy a new ground block?

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try a good penitraiting oil like Mouse Milk or Aero-Kroil. They both work great.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let the penitraiting oil sit for a few hours.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    If you can get at the block I would clean it up and clean all the wire connections then coat everything with dielectric grease.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    I just replaced both of mine way easier to cut the wires, fit new heat shrink connectors with a new block then I applied liquid black tape.

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• Options
    I just replaced both of mine way easier to cut the wires, fit new heat shrink connectors with a new block then I applied liquid black tape.
    30 bucks for a new block and all new connectors from the local store today. now the joy of laying on my side, on the top of the engine.
  • Options
    well that didn't fix it! if i'm not mistaken, there should be another ground block under the dash correct? i reworked the ground block with new block and all new connectors. cleaned off the connectors at the engine and shortened the 6' cable they had down to 2 feet.  i do not have engine noise through the speakers, just noise when i turn on the fan that is plugged into the starboard 12v socket. the port side 12v socket didn't have any noise until now but it's not near as bad as the starboard side.
  • Options
    well, seems like 90% of my noise was coming from an audio amplifier rca input connection. removed the amp, installed another one that i had, and the loud crazy noise from the fan is gone. bad thing is, i still have a small hum in the speakers on that amp so i am going to buy some new rca cables tomorrow and hope that helps.

• Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    what are you using for power and ground. a shoddy ground for the amp OR the fan will cause hum and static
  • Options
    kicker brand ground block and fuse block with brand new 4 gauge ran from batteries into the closet. all terminals are soldered to the 4 gauge. i'm leaning towards a bad rca output on the head unit or bad cables. the noise is only on the one amp and i'm running two.
  • Options
    mike340mike340 Member Posts: 2
    I have a ‘00 FV 340. Can anyone help me find the ground black in my boat?