Options

Water heater replacement questions

MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
I will be replacing the Atwood 6 gallon water heater on my 270FV this weekend (with a new Atwood heater) and I'm looking for advice on a couple of points:
1) How do I bleed air from the engine coolant loop in the water heater?
2) Can I use an automotive grade coolant (antifreeze) to top off my cooling system (as I will loose a little coolant when swapping out the old tank)?
3) Assuming that I only need a 8-12 ounces of coolant could I just use water?

I plan to install West Marine Dri Deck under the heater as recommended.

Thanks and Happy Canada Day and 4th of July to everyone celebrating those holidays!

MDboater

Answers

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    MD,

I changed mine out last year, I went with the Stainless version.  I don't recall losing any coolant when removing the old one.  If you do, it will be a negligible amount, if in doubt you could zip tie the hoses so the opening is supported "up" somewhere.   There wasn't anything to bleed, I just removed the hoses and wires (make sure shore power is not hooked up), it was about 4 or 5 stainless screws holding it down, old one out, vacuum to clean up the area a little, new one right back in it's place. same screws to hold it down then reconnect hoses, wires, when you first hook it up, your fresh water tank should drop 4 or 5 gallons...bottom line, make sure you do not turn it on unless it is full of water!!!!  That will trash the element in about 20 or 30 seconds. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MD you can buy 50/50 anti freeze at most auto parts stores.
    Boat Name :