Options

motor will not start

BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
I went out last night and both motors were running fine. When I try then o get it up on plain it feel like we were dragging something and stopped.  Checked around the back to make sure we weren't dragging a crab pot and couldn't find anything. Took off again and got up on plain and noticed the RPM was higher on the port side and throttled back. Went about 2 miles and anchored for the fireworks. I decided to move in a little more and went to start the port side and only got a clicking sound and would not start.  Luck the starboard side did.  Any thoughts on what to look for.

I did check the outdrives and did not find anything tangled up around the props.  
Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
Post edited by Bayrunner on

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I would check the oil for water intrusion and then go from there 
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Had to replace both of my starters this year, they were just completely gone.  They gave no indication of going out slowly either, one day they worked fine, the next day turn the key and nothing, not even a click.
  • Options
    BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advise but my boat doctor just gave me the bad news.  It's water in the plugs and oil so he thinks it's either a cracked head or block,  He will get the head first since it will be a cheaper fix.
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bayrunner is there any chance you injested the water? 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    When my boat was launched at the beginning of the season, it ingested water... All I got was "clicks" like a dead battery/bad starter.... Mechanic removed plugs, drained water and started it up.... Rest of the water evaporated and she's been running like a top since May.
  • Options
    seadogsseadogs Member Posts: 66 ✭✭

check the manifolds and risers

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Same thing happened to me last year.  Super hard to start, clicking and no start.  Oil milky as a shake.  Tech removed plugs and water, found crack in exhaust manifold.  Insurance blamed faulty winterization from place I bought it.  Good luck.  Hope it's a quick fix.  Quick action saved me.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270