Options

My 97 trailmaster trailer is making a loud clunking sound when I stop.

My trailer is making a loud clunking/crunching sound when I stop. The noise is coming from the front of the trailer at the surge assy. I connected my hitch to it and engage the brakes by hand and it seems easier than I remember to push in and it is where the noise is coming from. Any suggestions???

Answers

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did you check brake fluid? sounds like its out and breaks not working, is it the same when you take off? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dcicero1Dcicero1 Member Posts: 9
    The brake fluid is full. The noise is very noticeable when stopping. Not so much taking off. I only trailer about 6 blocks to the lake and haven't used the boat much in the last few years. This year I've been using it and the noise is new and concerning.
  • Options
    It sounds like the surge assy might be slamming back

• Options
    master cly probly bad. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I replaced the master cyl and all of the hardware in the tongue. Bled the brakes and now have pressure up front but still no brakes. I pulled a wheel apart yesterday to find the wheel cyl doesn't move when activating the brakes. I will go today for parts.
     WHEN I HAD THE DRUM APART, IT WAS OBVIOUS THAT THERE WAS A BLACK GREASE ON THE BRAKE PADS, IS THIS NORMAL ON TRAILER BRAKES, AND IF SO WHAT IS IT?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not normal so its probably grease from the wheel bearings. Over greased?
  • Options
    Dcicero, I agree with Handy,
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No grease on brake pads. Clean them with brake cleaner.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I replaced the brake assemblies and wheel bearings yesterday since they were in terrible shape and it didn't cost much more  than just wheel cylinders. My wheel cylinders were ceased on both sides. I now can't get my brake lines to stop leaking at the wheel cylinders. A project for today.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear that you are making progress. The Trailmaster website has all of the service manuals on it, in case you didn't know that yet...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    replaced both back brake lines and bled the brakes without leaks this time. Both wheels stop when applying the brakes now. Took it for a test drive and it makes no noise and stops better than it has since I've owned it. Thanks to all who provided advice.
  • Options
    @Dcicero1 good job, you will feel better next time you head to the ramp.
    Boat Name :