Options

Docking

jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
anyone find that there 270 Fiesta Vee is like a Wind Sail when its windy? Had tough time backing into the slip today because of side wind. Was wishing I had twin screws. Is it just me or does the wind grab the front and push it like a sail?

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you have your side windows up? My 242 gets like that when it's real windy out. If it's really bad I'll unzip them.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    had all windows out but had about a 6-10 mph side wind. I tried getting it in and then wind just takes my bow right over and pushes it away from dock no matter how much correction I use. I think next time I need to come in alittle harder and more power. I try to go slow and make small corrections usually. I am the first slip all the way on the end of the dock so I get all the wind full force to the dock and its always blowing towards my boat so it pushes me away from the slip as I back in. The box is what likes to wander. Stern I have no issue getting it over. 
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Don't know if this will help or not but when dealing with a cross wind, always back into the wind before turning if you can. Nose into the wind will make it really come around hard once you get it straightened out. Use your engine to pull into the wind.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Express cruisers have high free board to allow for standing headroom in the cabin. Removing your front and side Isinglass will help reduce the "sail" effect, but not a whole lot. It all comes down to practice and experience. I'd say skill in using appropriate speed and judicious use of the throttle/shifter is the key to success. Fenders out and boat hook at the ready is also wise docking strategy.

Andy
  • Options
    thanks for the advice . its a single screw which makes it more fun lol. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep, it is a challenge, typically with just my wife on board but we are both learning-number one rule is don't go into that slip any faster than you want to hit something!
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Gotta share this story.  My first docking experience with the Salt Shaker.  The stern wound up at the gas dock where we were going but the bow wound up across the slip and over an outdoor table where a fellow was having lunch.  He was kind enough to grab the bow by the anchor and swing me back so that both ends were at the gas dock.  To add insult to injury, on our departure, we missed the channel and wound up with the boat stuck against a sand bar.  We kind of just snuck away once we got it all together.
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    One more piece of advise. I have my down wind front 10 feet of my slip well padded including the very end. This is where the first 4 or 5 feet of the boat will hit when the wind catches me and all I get started in is the first few feet. When it is really blowing, I can use the end of the slip as a pivot point. Don't like to but I can if needed.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I feel your pain, I have the same issues.  Wish I had a bow thruster on my 270.  But I haven't so have to do the best I can.  For me I have to dock my self as the admiral is not comfortable with stepping onto the pontoon.  I have now learnt to try and use the wind where I can to aid me getting to the pontoon, I know this is not always possible, but I suppose it's the old saying practice makes perfect 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you absolutely use the pier or a post to pivot against..
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time patience fenders poles prayers and yes I have 270fv.thanks for letting me know it's not just me.the bIII does back up pretty good. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    you can always pull in ......adjust after conditions .... in your favor 
    might take a little longer.......better than damages
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    This makes me feel better reading the responses. Tried to dock in 20-30 mph gusts on weekend, and didn't go well! Luckily no damage, but some scary moments.  
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Same here with my FV270... The struggle is real gentlemen. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    270 was not ment to go backwards, forward only, LOL
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    20-30 mph winds equals stay at the slip for me
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    well did it today like I was a pro. Little less winds but just took my time and bumped gear selector just till it started to move in direction i wanted and then back to neutral and wait till it settles then again etc. All the guys were watching me and were like **** not bad with a single screw. So just good luck today lol
  • Options
     B) 
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Pretty normal to have a tough time with a single engine and cross wind. Lots of good suggestions above.

Another option is back on and get someone off the swim platform onto the dock with a line. Secure that line onto the first cleat you get to and keep backing up as much as possible to shorten up that rope (hopefully to around 2 or 3 ft). Then engage engine forward and the boat will pull up against the slip bringing the bow straight. Then you can back up while someone holds the grab rail.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB - this is the exact method I use to get into my slip.  The Admiral knows to get a rope on the furthest back cleat she can while I bump it into forward to get the nose straight
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Twins do help, but it is still a big sail.  A combination of the above works well, back in till you have just the first foot or two of the stern in the slip, don't worry about the bow yet.  Then slowly and gently let that first bit of stern contact the dock/fender/rub rail, or anything soft.  Admiral takes opposite side stern line and jumps on dock, apply slow (idle only) in an out of gear while you pivot on that point that is resting gently on the dock.  Meanwhile admiral pulls rope assisting the stern to line up, the bow will naturally pivot around, it never looks smooth from your chair, but by allowing the boat to gently make contact with the dock you create a pivot point and all the back and forth with the bow swinging around violently comes to an end.  Even with twins the struggle is real.  A couple weeks ago I had to come back into the marina on just one engine and the wind howling at 20kts.  Needless to say, I had very little control.  It was NOT fun.
  • Options
    russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I so agree with all comments! It can be stressful  depending on your mooring  and wind conditions and direction.  The biggest thing I have learnt with a single screw is to knock it in and out of gear taking it very slowly and using the wind rather than fighting it. Wind will always win. I learnt on a tidal river mooring which can be the fastest current in the uk. No bow thruster and single screw. Well a few cash deals later on other boat repairs I began to learn. Now I'm in a lock gated marina with a 270 FV with bow thruster. I still, very carefully plan my approach and always have a back up plan if all goes terribly wrong which isn't often nowadays. Spring line techniques are a great tool to have up your sleeve as well. I think it's a man thing that we master docking before we die!! What's a better feeling than coming in with tricky conditions and doing it seemlessly!!