x

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Electrical Discussions

x

Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    The Deka batteries are very good,  I have been installing these for years.  The AGM is perfect but yes pricey.  The standard lead acid flooded battery's are fine for cranking.  1000 mca  required.   Al
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • RpintoRpinto Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    What about GEL batteries
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Thanks Michael T. My local option on AGM batteries is the Optima Blue Top, any reference on them?
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I'll never buy another flooded battery. AGMs all the way. Get a solar panel hooked up and you'll be in electric nirvana on the hook.
    edited November 2014

x

Thanks again Michael T and Andyd.
    What would be your solar panel choice. 

• HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

I am replacing my batteries in my 2005 342 pretty right now. The old batteries are causing the charger to run a whole lot which is running my electric bill up about $50 a month. If I went the AGM route, would I have to also replace my battery charger? I am not at the boat but know it is the stock charger that came with the boat.

Thanks.

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    I realize that although the 2 starter batteries are still good, I will also need to replace them with AGM's......right?
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Hamdog said:

I am replacing my batteries in my 2005 342 pretty right now. The old batteries are causing the charger to run a whole lot which is running my electric bill up about $50 a month. If I went the AGM route, would I have to also replace my battery charger? I am not at the boat but know it is the stock charger that came with the boat.

Thanks.

I've got the same boat and if you've got the inteli-power charger then I think it supports AGM batteries. I'm going to AGM's in the spring and plan on changing my charger....or just adding one for the house batteries for now.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • jhortajhorta Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Michael T,  which charger did you upgrade too when you switched over to the AGM batteries?  I assume the OE charger won't have the options to set the charger to charge faster or handle the upgraded capacity.  

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, Al has recommended Charles brand chargers. http://www.charlesindustries.com/main/marine.html

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited November 2014

x

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I've got a ProNautic 1240 (same as ProMariner) that I bought earlier this summer.  It has been fantastic and much better than the semi-working one I replaced.  Definitely do some reading before your purchase.  There are lots of new capabilities that the old ones didn't have.

I have yet to switch over to AGMs (except bow thruster), I guess because my EverStart have always done the trick (for about 12 years out of 15 of boating).  & yes, I use the heck out of them anchoring out almost every weekend....although I do like the idea of quicker charging, just not sure it's worth it since we run the genny for other things generally twice a day anyhow.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express