Options

4 blade bravo 3 props?

laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
I have a 2005 fiesta 270 that is way under powered. As we all are aware. Anyone have the Hill Marine 4 blade bravo 3 prop set? Worth it? I realize I can only squeeze out so much from a small block engine. Not 100% on WOT RPM I'll have to check next time at the lake. All I know is I need a little extra push! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    300 MPI also, My props were two 3 blades, 22 pitch, I think origional, On friday,  Just put on a 4 blade 21 pitch On the front, and 3 blade 21 pitch on the back. it did help. only had them on for a couple short outings, On plane time is much better, I can stay on plane at 3200/3400 rpm much slower than before, which is good, and  about 25 mph-gps. and top speed was 38 mph-gps. Forgot to look at rpms at wot. It seems like before I had to run 3800 to 4000 rpms to stay up. Still testing, we had a lot of rain this week end, and cut boating in half. Do you allways put your trim tabs all the way down? on take off. it helps. I know it seems like it takes a week to get on plane. Bigger people I tell to move up beside the captin untill we get on plane then they can move around instead of sitting in the back. looks like it maybe a week or longer before taking it out again as the river is comeing up.
    It is, what it is, IMO this boat needs another 100 hp ! :s  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put 20 pitch Hill Marine props on this year.stock 22 last 4 years.should never waited so long.50 mile trip last week.I got better fuel economy.3900rpm 27mph.0 to 20 last 10 sec.I did get the tach to 4600. 37mph could got more but she said that's enough.never been rev'd that high per computer,that's 12 years.think I could 5000 in perfect conditions and no admiral play with tabs and trim.think I'm 150rims higher at same speed.1100$$ well worth it.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I did the math 
    22 pitch 3 blade 16% slipage at 4000
    20 pitch 4 blade 13% slipage at 4000
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Still agree with randy56 100 more pony's would great.boat fits on trailer in my back yard for winter.twin screw  winter storage $$.plus 13gal per hour is good.

• Options
    Wow thanks for fast response Randy and Renee. Randy curious why you went with only the 1  4 blade prop instead of 2. I have 22 pitch now also. Renee looking at pictures are those 3 blades? I was thinking of 2 4 blades. Did Hill marine give you feedback 
  • Options
    It was a used set that was cleaned and polished, thats the way they came the 4 and 3. Bought them on the fourm from Al. Glad I did. You can feel that 4 blade dig in. I don't know about 2 - 4s ?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Ok Randy. Keep me posted on your next outing curious on the results
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not believe they make a dual 4 blade prop set for a B-3

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Hill Marine does. It's called their 4 x 4 prop set. I looked at these before getting Al's opinion. I had 26 pitch Merc's and bought a 24 pitch Merc set from Al. I haven't had a chance to see if the 24 pitch made a difference on WOT RPM. Every time I've been boating since I have had 7 or 8 adults and don't notice much different hole shot. Not a good comparison.
  • Options
    Interesting. The front prop does the bulk of the work, I wonder what a 4 blade rear prop does?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Yes 4x4 Hill marine.
  • Options
    laureniac1 will let you know this weekend, this weeks project: clean scum off bottom and wax x 2, No bottom paint on there.  Left it in the water for a month, and it needs some love. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    This is VERY interesting...
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    I am running 24P in my 2003 270FV with 350MPI-Bravo3.  It cruises pretty well at 3400 rpms and topped out at 4600 rpms over the weekend with a heavyish load.  I am considering dropping pitch to 22 and/or going to a 4 blade front and 3 blade rear.
  • Options
    Just talked with Hill Marine they suggest 4x4 blade  bravo 3 with 20 pitch. They claim it will get on plane faster but it will increase overall RPM and may loose a few MPH. They say they sell hundreds of 4x4 props and people are happy. They will exchange them until customer is happy 
  • Options
    Sweet!  what a deal, you cannot lose. so what you lose 4/5 mph, let us know, a reminder: grease splines, I had to buy prop wrench, for first prop, 2 and 3/4 inch found on e-bay. I think it was $55. the small one is 1 1/2 inch ,  spec's on torque,  big nut 100 lbs small one 60 lbs.
    How much was a set? Is Hill marine a local place?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    hill marine.net- Props are $1000.00
  • Options
    California you do pay shipping if want to change pitch.but 20's work for me.if you look at my pic the 2nd prop is cupped pretty good.they say that helps with speed.next time out I will try to get top speed and rpm.
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    I have Hill marine 4x4's, well technically I should have...  
    My boat came with 24p bravo 3's and we were never able to get over 3900 rpm.  I was planning to go to 22p bravo 4x4 with Hill but they highly suggested going with a 20p.  I took there suggestion and instantly over spun the engine within 5 minutes of going out.  I wish I would have stayed with my suggestion of 22p's.   Shipping the props back to Hill in Cali cost me $180 at UPS and I still have to pay for the return shipping back to me once they decide to ship me out the 22p's....  I am being told they are a little backed up right now but was promised they would ship last Friday.  No one has called me for a card to pay for the return shipping yet so I am not confident that really happened.  They appear to make a great product, just don't get caught up in the free exchanges...  They are painful to say at the least.  If your boat is sling launched and your marina charges anything like mine you can stack another $400 on top to pull it out and put it back in twice.  Once to put old props back on and another time once the new props come in.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    Wild boating what boat model and engine do you have? How did you realize that you over spun engine?
  • Options
    03 Rinker 342 with bravo 3's and 350 mag mpi's.   I new i over spun as i went to get on plane and the boat was leaning really, really bad.  I throttled up stupidly to try and see if it leveled out, as i was looking at the back trying to understand while i was leaning when i looked back my port motor was showing 5200rpm.  Now these gauges can be flaky so i doubt that was really the rpm but when i throttled back i realized something was wrong.  Either way, motor on that side was knocking now.  Couple days later and about 5K i had a new motor.  We have not tore the motor down yet but the mechanic feels confident that spun rod bearing.  I was not willing to for go most of the season to get in line to tear down, rebuild so bought new long block and will have the old one rebuilt this winter for a back up.  Since i cannot trust my gauges i am in the process of switching to vessel view.

• Options
    @Wild: same year and set up as me. Those 24P are too much. The 22P made a world of difference on mine. RPM is spot on at WOT too. I have the Twinscam tach, so I'm confident on the rpm reading. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks BD.  I am looking forward to getting the props back, if Hill Marine would ever send them back.  I do think also the 22p will be perfect on my boat as well.  I will have my new vessel view installed soon so i can also verify correct rpms.

• Options
    I just received and installed the Hill Marine 4x4's in a 22p configuration.   Here is my before and after comparison so far.

Before: 24P B3 3 blade with 1/4 to 3/8 tank of fuel with 4 people
    Max Speed: 31 mph  
    Max RPM: 3900 rpm
    Best Fuel Economy: Steady 0.9mpg

After: 22P B3 4x4's With FULL tank of fuel, full water an 1 person.   About to leave on long trip, only comparison currently available.
    Max Speed: 33.6 Mph
    Max RPM: 4300
    Best Fuel Economy: steady .08 but flickering to .09

I would say that this is probably what the boat needed but it is too early to say. 250 Gallons of fuel and nearly full amount of water is probably about 1500lbs more than i normally run around town with.  I am leaving on a long trip and will update with more info once i return.

• Options
    Have a great trip
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    @Wildboating - Looks like a good improvement especially given the added weight after the new props!  

I recently looked at an old boattest review of a 342 with twin 6.2 L (320 HP) Bravo 3s.  They claimed a top speed of 47 mph.  I expected the 342 with twin 5.7 L (300 HP) Bravo 3s to have a top speed closer 40 or 42 mph.  Is that overly optimistic?