Options

Normal to need a little trim tab, when heavily loaded?

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
While using the boat on the weekend, boat seemed to work the best at say 25mph, with 2 or 3 lights of tab with 6 adults on board. if I pulled them all the way up, boat would slow down 3 mph or so.
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    exactly because wind catches under bow too much and makes it porpoise. Mine is exactly the same. Typical load usually one bar down. 4 adults and 4 kids 2-3 bars down once cruising.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I try to cruise 3100 rpm
    tabs in to slowly get on plane at 3100 by the time I am on plane I start sucking the tabs in
    i only leave enough in to level or to keep me on plane.
    all depends on the load and water conditions.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    It's always an experiment, every time you get on plane.  Depends on load, wind, hull roughness and other factors.  Check the GPS speed, then tweak the outdrive trim and trim tabs to get the fastest speed for a given throttle setting.

Another indicator is to look at the size of your wake.  Simple physics:  if you are making a big wake, you are using a lot of fuel.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's normal. 2 or 3 lights on the tabs is fine.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:

Another indicator is to look at the size of your wake.  Simple physics:  if you are making a big wake, you are using a lot of fuel.
    Interesting way to look at it.....
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    It's always an experiment, every time you get on plane.  Depends on load, wind, hull roughness and other factors.  Check the GPS speed, then tweak the outdrive trim and trim tabs to get the fastest speed for a given throttle setting.

posts like this are the reason I really like this place... short, concise, absolutely accurate... Of all the ways to 'put it', I think you nailed it in MUCH shorter fashion than I could have, even if I could in the first place!
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! Will play around more next time out.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi