Options

Fiesta Vee 330, hard to get on plane

I am brand new to the forum and fairly new to boating. I recently purchase a 1999 Fiesta Vee 330 with twin 5.7 Mercruisers with Bravo III drives.  When I have 2-3 people onboard the boat will get on plane fairly easily once I get to about 3500 rpm. However, It seems to have trouble holding that plane while cruising in the 15-20 kph range. Again with only a 2-3 people onboard the boat will remain on plane above 4500 rpm running in excess of 28 kph. This is fun in short bursts, but I am not really looking to do this for extended periods or when it is a little choppy out. Of greater concern is the fact that if I have anymore than 3 people on board, I cannot seem to get the boat on plane at all despite how I adjust the trim tabs or the stern drives. In fact I can not appear to even get the engine RPMs above 3200 RPM despite being at full throttle and the boat appears that it is bogged down and will not get over 10 kph with more than 3 people onboard. I would think that a boat this large is designed to run smoothly with at least 6 adults onboard. Any thoughts on what my failure to get on plane issue might be? Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Welcome to the forum.  First off, does the boat sit in a slip (not a lift)?  Is it possible it's been sitting for more than a few weeks?  If so, you may have some bottom growth that needs cleaned off.  How long you had the boat?  Did it used to run better, say a couple months ago?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
    I used to to struggle to get my 242 on plane with a heavy load and it used to feel like it was getting bogged down. How are you using your trim tabs? I drop mine all the way down before applying throttle, the boat jumps up onto plane with them down, I then retract them slowly to a level that keeps me on plane. I also trim the drive up slightly as well once on plane.
  • Options
    CoastalGroupCoastalGroup Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Dream Inn: thank you for the input, I purchased the boat at the end of last season, went out approx 6 times. Same plane issues occurred, bottom was very clean when I pulled it out for winterization. I keep the boat in the slip during the season and I have had boat in the water for approx 1 month this year, the bottom was pretty clean when it went in, but the planing issues remain constant.

Planesailing: thank you for the input, I will try the trim tab and drive adjustments that you have suggested above.

Thank you both for the response, I will post what happens after my next trip out.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming no engine issues or in need of a tune up, it sounds like you are over propped. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Black_Diamond thank you for the input. The boat may in fact need a tune-up, as it sat in storage for 2.5 years prior to September of 2015, but I am not exactly sure what else should be done? Prior to sale, the following preventive maintenance steps where taken?
    1. Raw water impeller and housing replaced
    2. Replace trim tab lines
    3. Replace boots and gimbal bearings
    4. Changed senders
    5. Changed gear lube in outdrive
    6. Changed engine oil and filters
    7. Replace anodes
    8. Changed shift cable
    9. Changed water separating fuel filters
    10. Replaced both engine batteries and house battery

Not exactly sure what over propped means, but I  have been reading several discussions on the site and appears that a few individuals that were having issues getting on plane switched from 24P props to 22P props. I thought that might be an expensive solution, but it apparently I already have 22P (3) blade props. I am now reading that some individuals have seen improvement when going to 4 blade props.  

I am certainly open to any other suggestions, not be able to get on plane with more than 3 people onboard is no fun.  :(  Thanks Again.

• Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Consider changing the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and plug cables. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Old gas???? You said the boat sat for 2.5 years maybe it has old gas.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    @MDboater I will look into those suggestions, have a need to replace those items typically be link to a boats inability to get on plane with a heavier load?
    @raybo3 I was concern that it was old gas causing the issue at the end of last season, but the tank has been filled with new gas and the issue persist.
    @Black_Diamond can you shed a little more info on what you mean by over propped.
    Thanks All
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    @MDboater I will look into those suggestions, have a need to replace those items typically be link to a boats inability to get on plane with a heavier load?

For sure these items could seriously impact engine performance which would in turn impact  planing performance.  FYI, if you plan to change the distributor caps and rotors yourself then be very careful not to overtighten the cas as the plastic distributor body is prone to break  (search other threads for this topic). Also, verify that both trim tab actuator are working properly (that is the tabs are actually moving all the way up and down).  Tabs should be all the way down while getting up on plane.  Then raising tabs after you get on plane should significantly increase speed.   I believe that "overpropped" means too much pitch. BTW, did you really mean kph and not mph in your initial post?