Options

Improving hole shot in 270FV

2»

Comments

• Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Yes, you can strike the 350 to a 383.  I have my old 350 on a shelf, thinking if making it a 383 and selling it.  Check out Michigan Motorz and their YouTube videos.

MDBoater, you hit the nail on the head.  
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    a stroked 350 is a 383

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    How much would that cost?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    How much would that cost?
    Looks like you can get a 383 MPI motor on ebay for around $10K.
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    How much would it cost to stroke our current 350?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Mercruiser offers a reman 383 EFI w 3 year warranty.  Check with your Merc shops, more piece of mind with it being new.  The 'reman' keeps Merc out of emissions and resale issues, was my understanding. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cruse update: 2003 270 300 mpi, half tank fuel, halftank water, septic tank emty, two people on board, props 4 blade 21 pitch first prop, 3 blade second prop. 85 degrees 80 percent humidity. 
    1600 rpm 8 mph ---- my favorite speed
    4000 rpm 28 mph
    5000 rpm 38 mph wot.
    time to plane 13 seconds.
    I had much more info, as I was barking out speed and rpm to my wife at differant rpm she was righting it down but lost the paper. Gerrrrr, these are the numbers I remimber. Have to do it again.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that sounds about right for mine as well Randy I would say but if ya start adding the weight...
  • Options
    jimmcg8jimmcg8 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Wow- a lot of good info here. We have a 270 with the 496, Bravo III, 3 blade 22P. At 4800 we do almost 40 with plenty of throttle left. Wonder if I should move to a 24P. Getting outta the hole is a small issue, tho. This with 4 people, full water, half full pooper... any thoughts??

• Options
    @jimmcg8, if you are have a little trouble getting up on plane now, going to bigger prop will make it worse. You will gane top end, but slower start up.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Jimmcg8 do you have a 496 H/O or just 496? Thats impressive 40 with more to go...
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Hole shot improved! this weekend I was able to pull my son and daughter in law on ski's with 21 pitch 4x3. took less that 7 seconds to get them on top of the water.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Numbers from yesterday:
    2003 270 FV with 350 MPI, 24P Bravo 3
    ~600 Lbs of people and gear
    1/3 fuel, full water, 1/4 waste
    water almost glass
    full throttle = 37 mph (gps speed) at 4900 rpm 
    fast cruise = 28 mph (gps speed) at 4000 rpm
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    Hole shot improved! this weekend I was able to pull my son and daughter in law on ski's with 21 pitch 4x3. took less that 7 seconds to get them on top of the water.
    That's awesome!  Did you flip the trim limit pin too?
  • Options

MD, amazing close numbers to mine, the hole shot is what has improved the most. Have you or anyone else pulled skier's? Got a couple pic's for ya, tryed to load short clip but not allowed for some reason. 
    Yes on trim limit, waxed bottom, flying old glory, it was good day.

Boat Name : 

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Cool info 
    I wonder what current 280 ec get for cruise and top end . I know that most of them are singles with bravos now
    my 280 which is a 31ft boat with 10ft beam has twin 4.3's
    i can cruise at 3100rpm with one or 9 people. Only difference is mph. Average load is 5 people and cruise is 24mph at 3100
    still don't know wot with full trim. Lol
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    That's 17pitch ss props on alphas 
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    @06Rinker I do not have a gauge on my trim tabs, go by feel, I wait till I'm on plane before adjusting anything. On take off, drive all the way in tabs down, after on plane trim up drive then tabs, probley does not mater which one first. A dirty bottom will slow ya down.

@jmichels, just  to compare, what props are you running? sounds like you are right on if you get up on plane fairly quick. I'm now at 38 with the 4/3 21 pitch. the 3/3 22 pitch were faster but I would rather have hole shot, I'm going to try and pull skier this weekend. But would not even try that  before.

Checked today and I have a 22 pitch with 4/3. this normal? 
  • Options
    @jmichels, good set up, Nice,  someone allready changed them saved you the trouble. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    oh thats great then wasnt sure if thats what it needed to be . Factory is 24p?
  • Options
    randy56 said:

Yes on trim limit.....
    @randy56 Have you noticed any vibration in the outdrive at planing speeds when the trim is all the way down (since flipping the trim limit bushing)?

• Options
    Have not tried it always trim up pretty quick, going out Saturday and Sunday will try it. Taking grand kids tubing and we have a rope swing on an island, they love that, We have another island that has a steep bank, all sand, one boater has a pontoon, where he has a 2 inch water pump on the back, pumps river water up the hill to a home made water slide made out of thick plastic. Kids have a ball. I'll take picture's.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Sounds like a blast!!!  Enjoy!!
  • Options
    @MDboater, weather was good this weekend, overnited Saturday nite, No vibration, none, Did'nt think so but wanted to be sure. Did not run that much this week maybe 50 miles. dang trim tabs on blink, going to pull boat out this week to see whats up.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback Randy!  
  • Options
    Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    MDboater - on my 270FV the tabs were installed with the wings facing down from the builder. As far as removing the rod and flipping the tabs, just unbolt the ram, remove the tab from the transom and flip them over.  The only difference is the joint of the tab to hinge will be on bottom but will not interfere since that joint is above the bottom.