Stereo question

zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
I installed pioneer receiver and 4 6.5 pioneer marine speakers.
Sounds great and works good.
charged battery or not music cuts out anything over 45 volume. I think 55 or 60 is max.
wrong polarity or I need an amp.
thanks 

Comments

• floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    I would think an amp would help. speakers are cutting out because of heat in the head unit, they aren't meant to run wide open for too long. also check rms on head unit and speakers if they are off that could cause speaker fading out too. watts are one thing but rms means continuous power out to speakers. if it's too low, head unit will heat up, too high it will fry the speakers.
  • floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    also if you wired them NOT the same it would cause "dead sound", the speakers are pushed out for normal sound and if it's backwards it will be pulling in so as you listen it will sound like some are not working because the sound will be going out the back of speaker not the front, it's called out of phase. easier to hear than explain.
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Had to dig little further into my 12v wiring 
    found a inline fuse and some sorts of power conditioner.
    didnt notice it when installed probably due to poor lighting and that portion being tucked a away.
    tested it and looks to be ok.
    if it acts up then it's either two house batteries or nice gel one. Or need amp. I will check for power if I start to loose it again to see where my battery is 
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭✭
         I'm assuming that with the volume beyond "45" it is pretty loud... Most likely you are getting distortion at that level too. Distortion is usually caused by "clipping"(driving the stereo/amp further than the power supply can handle). Without being there to troubleshoot it, I would think this is what's happening. 
         Your radio/amp basically turns your music into electrical pulses in the form of a sine wave. 
    The higher the volume, the taller the wave. The distance between the waves determines the frequency(highs/tweeters- waves closer together.... Lows(bass)- waves are further apart). The sine wave is then reproduced by the speaker. A speaker is an electromagnet that follows the sine wave that is sent to it. Positive sine wave- speaker cone pushes out... Negative sine wave- speaker pulls in(ever watch a subwoofer push/pull?).
         This is what a sine wave looks like when it is clipping(green):

When you drive a stereo/amp to the point of clipping you are then driving the speaker and HOLDING it at that flat part of the clipped-off sine wave. This rapidly heats up the voice coil(electromagnet part of speaker) and as we all know... With heat comes expansion. This expansion can cause the voice coil to momentarily short out causing the amplifier to briefly go into protection mode. 
         Another theory could be the impedance(ohms) of the speaker... Most car/marine audio speakers are rated at 4 ohms. When a speaker cone moves, the impedance of the voice coil is always changing. While pushing a speaker that hard, the impedence can drop to a near dead-short... Causing the radio/amp to shut off or go into protect mode. 

So here is my advise: Listen to your stereo with the volume only as loud as the music is clean and not distorted. Play it at volume "35", if it plays for a long duration without shutting off then clipping would most likely be your problem. 
    So clipping would mean I need an amp
  • MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Yes you would need an amp, or more precisely a more powerful amp than the internal amp in your existing stereo to eliminate clipping. That is of course assuming that your speakers are able to handle the power that your new amp delivers to them.

Regarding the low volume performance you should consider is that the stereo that you have is similar to what would be used in a car. In a car, the space is much smaller than than that of a boat and typically enclosed. So you can imagine that much less power is needed to fill that volume of space with sound. The point is that it is not surprising that you would need more power than the internal amp of your car styled stereo when driving speakers in an open-air environment like that of a boat.

The system in my 270FV uses the internal stereo amp to drive the 2 cabin speakers and an external amp to drive the 4 speakers in the cockpit.
    That's how my old boat was