Options

Running AC at night on generator

WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
We have some long trips coming up and several nights will be on the hook.  Do any of you trust your CO detector enough to run the generator at night?  Do you open a window or is this just plainly crazy to even consider?
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I simply wouldn't do it, sir... If nothing else, I'd freeze a block of ice and make one of those cooler redneck a/c's for the cabin, and a small vdc fan to push the air out of it... there is just no sense in risking it- a shift of wind, a failing alarm- or an alarm ringing to dead ears- too much risk for too little reward. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild, have to admitt, I went and bought new one this season. Pitched the old one. It had me concerned also. A lot of people have died in there sleep. Yes ran generator all nite. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't you simply use 2 CO detectors?  The probability of you dying in a car accident on the way to the marina has to be much higher than the probability of you having a CO problem and two CO detectors failing at the same time.  See a thread I started on a hybrid generator inverter system as a way to minimize generator use.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a big difference between a CO detector and CO monitor. The detector uses an exposure algorythem to trip. The Monitor gives real time CO ppm, a far better method. There was a thread on this on here some time ago. Running the genny at night is safe if done right. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    i just spent the weekend on the hook running my honda genny off the swim platform. we took the CO detector off the wall and laid it on the floor next to our heads. all the windows and cabin door shut. of course, an on board genny would make me more leery with exhaust possibly leaking into the bilge and eventually into the cabin.
  • Options
    MD, read your post, it was back in October, did anyone ever follow up and convert to inverter big enough?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    MD, read your post, it was back in October, did anyone ever follow up and convert to inverter big enough?
    Not that I know of.  On further consideration the system I described would require at least 4 group 31 batteries otherwise I fear that rapid discharge would greatly reduce the life of the batteries.  
  • Options
    jcc2823jcc2823 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    would it help to crack the engine hatch open while running generator at night?
  • Options
    I Don't see the benefit? its water cooled. what are you thinking it would help?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think for the fumes Randy...as long as you don't have an enclosure. I have a much more obvious question...where the heck are you going to boat this time of year that you will need an A/C? Heck, even here in FL it's starting to get high 60's at night, are you hanging meat in the cabin at night for extra income?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    never mind, see this was a july post...something has happened to the site!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run a blower. Keep the hatch closed. BTW that is the only way the fire ext in the engine compartment will work right. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Also make sure you only have 1 anchor out and its at the bow. Do not put out a 2nd one out from the stern.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    @raybo3 Please explain why not 2nd achor? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    With one anchor the bow will always swing into the wind, blowing any fumes to the rear of the boat. With 2 anchors, the boat will not swing, and if the wind shifts, if could cause the wind to blow fumes into the cabin.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Exactly what jhofmann said. Keep the fumes out of the cabin......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Good point.
    Boat Name :