SmartCraft/Mercury Monitor on 2007 Rinker 250?

lupingladelupinglade Member Posts: 9
edited May 2013 in Electrical Discussions
We just purchased a 2007 Rinker 250 w/ MAG MPI 350. Wondering what all is needed to add a Mercury Monitor? Does this boat already have a SmartCraft harness to the dash area?
Post edited by lupinglade on

Best Answer

Answers

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if your electrical system will allow the installation of the present smart craft helm unit but I have been told that there is an entirely new smart craft helm unit coming out in late 2013 or early 2014. If your boat will accept one, you may want to wait for the new unit. The word is that it's far faster and also easier to use.
  • lupingladelupinglade Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know how the analog gauges are connected to the engine? Is it using some sort of adapter box for the SmartCraft connection? Ie. is there any use of SmartCraft by Rinker on this boat?
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on your engine. I have a 2011 350 MAG and the smart craft connected. I needed to change my fuel sending unit to get fuel consumption. You can also attach trim, GPS, ROTC but need different devices and it starts adding up on cost.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod

I'd say you will need the cord to come in to the helm from the engine, it is probably not there.  I ran the lines on my previously 2002 310 and now on my 400 (which has DTS, so the conection was in the helm aready).  Once you run that cable up, you can connect the monitor up and have a majority of the capabilities without adding more cables.  Definitely a great thing to do!  My favorite is seeing my water pressure so I know at first sign when my impellers may be weak.  Also great if any alarms appear.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a 2013 276 Cuddy and I have been wanting to get better information than what the analog gauges provide. Am I to assume that the MercMonitor is what I need?

I dont have an analog speedo (its through the standard GPS), but everything else is analog (oil pressure, engine temp, tachometer, fuel level). I'd assume the MercMonitor is fully digital signals and thus more accurate, right?

I really want it for GPH & Gallons used, as my biggest fear is an inaccurate fuel level gauge. It doesnt appear that my Standard Horizon 190i links to the SmartCraft to calculate MPG, which is a bummer.

Also what about the engine diagnostics? Does the MercMonitor display and/or store engine codes? I have had some warning beeps here & there and it would be nice to know instantly what they are instead of waiting for the dealer to hook it up to the laptop.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3