Options

Weird behavior - can't shut off 1 engine, have to shut both off.

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
So this is a weird one.  I went to start the engines the other day.  Then got an alarm from VesselView saying the drive fluid was low.  No problem, I got a tube of lower end lube and added it to the bottle.  This was with the engines both running.  The alarm stopped.  Everything happy.  Then I tried to shut off one engine.  Turn off key, no effect.  Turn key back to on position, turn other key off.  No effect, both engines still running.  Turn both keys off, both engines stop.  I have since restarted and tried this to the same end.  When both engines are running, I have to turn off both keys to get them to stop but can not stop one or the either one at a time.

Thoughts?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Remove them and look at the wiring 
    maybe they share a ground wire or something is shorting them out
  • Options
    Hmm that comes from pure experience I bet
  • Options
    Al, do you mean the gauge or the thing (sensor or whatever) getting the signal?

I leaning toward haunted.

• Options
    OK I looked on GLS and I think I know what you mean.  It could be the round black thing behind the gauges (sync sending unit) that I've never known the identity of.  Easy test will be to disconnect it and see what happens. 

Thanks Al

Still keeping the holy water as an option though....

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Please keep us updated as this is really interesting. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I unhooked the ignition wires from the round thing that feeds the gauge.  No change in behavior.  I opened the ignition switch panel and checked the purple wires for a short.  The meter says they are almost a dead short.  Not sure how useful that test is but it seemed odd.  Still digging.  Different problem now, Stbd engine does not want to start (cranks, will catch for 2 seconds then die.  Thinking fuel pump).  When I had the ignition switch area out I noticed that some of the wires seemed strange.  The Acc breaker was carrying the power to one of the ignition switches and some other plugs didn't match between the port and stbd switch.  I only looked at that because I found that turning the port key made the port engine crank (and start), but turning just the stbd key acted like the batteries were dead....unless port was running.  It appears that over the years someone changed a connection or 2 on the switches.  I used the wire diagram to put them where they should be.  

Really thinking the boat is haunted.

Or something got messed up when the new starter solenoids were installed.

• Options
    Could be fuel pump but it's good you got wires figured out.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Wondering if that wiring has something to do with what I've been told that when stbd engine is running, if port engine key is not turned on, you will get an alarm beep every so often.  But not the other way around.  Maybe Al can shed some light on that?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Part of owning pre owned boats
    my boats dash was not only ripped apart by someone that had zero mechanical skills but wiring was a
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Starts briefly then quits sounds like fuel pump.  I had the same problem, along with others, LOL
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I thought the reason that happens is because the boat is prewired for VV option. I am pretty sure (but not positive....lol) that how it was explained to me. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    OK so I was in the engine space replacing a cap and rotor and thought it was time I tried un-plugging one of the smartcraft plugs going to the VV to see if it had an effect on the ignition switch issue.  And it did.  

So, now I have to dig into the dash and see what was done versus what was supposed to be done.  I have a feeling that a multi-ignition adapter was not put in.  I have to count junction boxes too.  

This could solve a couple issues.  The good news is that the adapter is under $30.

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Mine does the same thing because vesselview.  I was told after the fact by merc the engineer who gave me the parts list shorted me a junction box which will causes this.   Running both engines to one junction will not hurt anything just causes this inconvenience.  I have yet to fix mine either. 
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    Hmmmm, OK when I get a chance I'll open my dash and take a look. 

• Options
    Mine does the same thing because vesselview.  I was told after the fact by merc the engineer who gave me the parts list shorted me a junction box which will causes this.   Running both engines to one junction will not hurt anything just causes this inconvenience.  I have yet to fix mine either. 
    Just like I said........LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Just like I said........LOL
    Sorta.  My boat was not pre-wired for VV.  I had it added after the fact.  

• Options
    A friend of mine bought a brand new (at the time) 342 and had the same "problem" he call the dealer and was told the boat was wired for VV and that it was not a problem............
  • Options
    Hmmmmm  To me, "wired for VV" means the plugs are in the dash and just have to be put onto the display.  In my case, the cable from the engines and harness which plugs into the VV had to be added.  So not sure what the term "wired for VV" is supposed to mean.

Mine is a 2002 when Smartcraft was new.  :)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    @raybo3 i am thinking that if i had a dealer tell me that they would be referred to as my "former" dealer.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Guy's guys this is common and not just on Rinkers. Former dealer???? Really? he is the best in my area and the most busy. His service is excellent and his prices are more than reasonable. Very very knowledgeable. BTW when I said it was because of VV well guess what? It was because of VV........ Hmmmmm 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but i have a problem with switches not working the way they are supposed to.  IT screams electrical problem or at very best pending electrical problem.   IF this was me i wouldn't be comfortable till the engines worked independently...as they should.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    David obviously its not an electrical "problem" or these boats would not be wired this way. Every marine mechanic I know knows about this "problem" so it must not be a problem after all. Also if you know how it works how is it a problem. They must be wired like this for a reason or they wouldn't be like this....... Just say'n
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my set up. Dual engine adapter output to the VV mobile device. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD is this a pre-wire job or was this an add on? Just wondering... 
  • Options
    That is all my handiwork.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond, if I may say so - extremely professional installation. Rarely happens in the real world but how  (imo) it should. 
  • Options
    @Michael T. Thanks!!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Awesome job DB......... Better than manufacturer....
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Guy's guys this is common and not just on Rinkers. Former dealer???? Really? he is the best in my area and the most busy. His service is excellent and his prices are more than reasonable. Very very knowledgeable. BTW when I said it was because of VV well guess what? It was because of VV........ Hmmmmm 
    I agree it's due to VV.  I suspect (have to verify) that it's because my installer didn't use 2 junction boxes and the multi-ignition adapter.  That likely happned because all the VV connection had to be added as the boat was not "wired for VV" from the factory.  This is totally self inflicted.  Not faulting anybody but my installer.

• Options
    When asking around before I wired up the VV, I found nobody knew boo about it. I had Wally at Mercury verify what I needed, worked perfect (remember the port engine CityID code needs to be changed too). 

Easy fix to add the second junction box, connection cable and the dual engine output harness. 

FWIW. I have a few extra termination caps if anyone needs some. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI