Options

Importing Rinker Parts

russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
Attempted to order from Great Lakes Skipper a $24 Faria trim gauge yesterday but the process is not easy as I'm in the UK. So I go to a dealer here. I get a phone call today to  say yes they could supply it but it would be 8 to 10 weeks delivery and won't be US$220 !!
 Complete madness for a $24 part.  I have a friend in the states who I asked to purchase the $24 trim gauge and post over to me. 
 That's what we Brits are up against when trying to buy parts for Rinkers. 
 Also yesterday I had to buy a new trim ram for my Volvo SX DP Drive. They wanted $1100 for one single ram!  I ended up searching the Internet and finding one for $800. 
 I could have got it from the States cheaper I know but would've took a month or so to arrive. 

It's all good fun though but I do hate being ripped off!

Comments

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    My brother in England has the same issue with parts for his classic Cessna aircraft. So guess who has been assigned to frequently run around California picking up parts and shipping them? A $50 part still ends up costing him $120.

Andy
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I understand your frustration.
    Anything shipped from the U.S. to any countries shipping charges are ridiculous high.
    I live in Canada about 100 Kms from to U.S. Is shipping is so expensive.
    On a example 15$ parts they will ask for 30$ U.S shipping . Same parts shipped anywhere in the US.(big country) shipping is free.
    So what I usually do is have the parts shipped to UPS in Ogdensburg N.Y. (free shipping)and then drive from my house in Ottawa Canada to there is about 40 minutes.
  • Options
    russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Ha! Great plan. Well now our country has decided to leave the European Union maybe it'll be possible to phone a US for an item and be able to pay by card over the phone and only get stung for shipping which I don't mind. As it stands we can't do that at the moment. My friend mailed me from NJ and said my Faria trim gauge is in the post and all for $24!! Sure beats paying $220 for the same part
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I mailed clothes to a friend in Australia.