Lithium Vs Lead Batteries

DanoDano Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
Looks like my house battery may need replacing.  Seems to charge under shore power, but not fully.  Used it on the water yesterday while tubing.  It worked a few times, then would not turn over.  Battery 1 is fine.  

Anyone have experience with the lithium ion's?  Are they worth the extra money?     

Comments

• pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Just an opinion but they have always been too expensive for me to consider. I think you have to invest in another special charger also. You can buy a lot deep cycle group 31's for the price. Mastervolt 12v 360AH list for just under $9000 at West Marine for 1 battery, no charger.  -Paul
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lithium will ultimately be the battery of choice but right now I agree too expensI've and the charger will need to be replaced. Also lithium batteries are going through a lot of improvements right now so unless you want to be the guinea pig rather get a good deep cycle battery.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your charger will handle different types of batteries, you can look at gel type. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is there an alternator/generator that is capable of charging a Li?  if not, i wager a small group24 or so, used similar to a capacitor, would work for both starting duties as well as translating the charge to a Li, no? 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

@Dano....AGM Series 31. If you have a bit more money, the new Thin Plate AGM Series 31. If your battery charger will not adjust for AGM batteries, replace it as it's not that expensive and flooded house batteries are OLD technology. There is a LOT of discussion on batteries in this forum's archives. You may wish to search for it?

Lithium are great but waaay too expensive still. Their price will come down just like regular AGM and Thin Plate AGMs did. In the mean time ditch flooded - not enough longevity and take too long to recharge - go AGM.