Options

Screen door for the cabin

I have a 260 2009 ec  and I was wondering if there was anything thats out there that I can make or buy a screen door to keep those mosquitos out of the cabin? Plus some nights it gets hot down there it would be nice to get a little more air flow. Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could get some screen from HD and press in a few snaps or sew in a few velcro pads to cover the open door. Inside we use a lightweight 12" 12v fan found a wally world. Beware the 6" amp hog variety that are typical dash mount car units. They can drain a battery at night quicker than my teenager empties my credit card.

Mosquito coils in the cockpit cut the interest of the blood sucking hoard quite a bit and anchoring out from shore a few hundred feet and downwind from shore helps too. I thought florida had skeeters until I went to Michigan one year. OMG those were like swarms of dragon flies that drank blood. Sure hope that's not your problem.

Good luck. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    mareenivillemareeniville Member Posts: 34 ✭✭

Yup its our problem too in Northern New York!  I think the winds blow them in from our friends from Michigan. We to do the lantern in the cockpit and also Bounce fabric sheets in some smaller areas, but it does take a bit of drinkin' time out of the night... Thanks for your ideas.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minnesota is the mosquito generator.  They come to Michigan from there.  Sounds good at least!

I added in zip in screen panels when I had my canvas replaced.  Still not perfect but add in a Thermacell repellent and very doable.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    You could see if this product works based on the shape and size of your entryway.  I have used the hatch version on previous boats and it was always a good purchase.  Not cheap, but good build quality.  That companionway version may work for you.  Link Here

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good call Gary, We used those "BugBusters" on our last sailboat and they worked really well. Nice tight weave screen to keep out the tiniest critters and a weighted edge to hold the screens in place w/o snaps. Packed into a nice easily stowed box. Two thumbs up from a former user.   :)>-

Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl