Options

Engine size on the Rinker 360 Express Cruiser

dorrwalterdorrwalter Member Posts: 4
Hi all! I am new to the board and getting really close to making a decision on a used Rinker 360. I currently have a 1988 Sea Ray 390 Express and I really like the reviews, look and price of the newer (2009-2014) Rinker 360. I have a few quick questions though and wondered if I could get some help.

1. I have a few options on engines and wondered if any of the engines below are better, or worse, than the others? Any of these I should stay away from?

2009 Volvo 5.7 Gi DP 280 HP
2009 6.2L 320hp Mercruiser 377 Mag SeaCore engines  w/ Bravo 3 Drives
 Mercruiser 496mag V-8 stern drives

2. How does Axius work with these boats versus thrusters? Not sure I would use them but if they come with the boat it would be a great to have just in case. It would also make the wife a lot happier!

3. Anything I should look out for in the 2009-2014 years of this boat? I am in the process of reading the forum but so far everyone looks very happy with the 360 boats.

Thank you in advance for any help. I am really looking forward to getting a Rinker and contributing to this forum.

Comments

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I only have the 280 but from listening to the guys with the 360 and 390's, the 496 is the way to go all day. I would guess that a 360 with the 5.7's would be severly under powered. 6.2's are a great engine and would probably be just fine but the 496's are a beast. My next boat with have the 496's for sure. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure you would be fine with the 6.2's, but if I had the choice, I would go for the boat with the 496's.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

@doorwalter.....An EC350/360 with 5.7s or even the better 350 (5.7) Magnums is only a cruising at displacement boat unless you like the sound of engines being beaten to death.

An EC 350/360 with 6.2s (377 magnum) magnums will get onto plane if you have a big enough lake. My friend has an EC 350 with twin 6.2s (377s), which I have been on a dozen times. He says it is the biggest mistake he has ever made - boating wise. I agree with him. It's still a dog, burns a lot of gas, has to have the oil changed frequently to protect the engines that rev waaaay to high while up on plane. The whole time in it I keep listening for a thrown rod or bearing screech as it sounds so awful. BTW a 5.7 or 6.2 will burn about 30% more gas than an EC 360 with 496 Mags or 502 Mags.

So why would anyone in their right mind put a 5.7 or 6.2 in a boat of that size and weight and turn a potentially fantastic boat into a poor handling dog? First, no person in their right mind would. Second, it would have to be someone who didn't have the money to buy the boat properly equipped and hoped they could win a lottery later to pay for the extra gas, oil and engine re-builds.

Save your money until you can afford the right engines or get a smaller Rinker - with the RIGHT engines - then trade up later, to a properly equipped EC 360 or older EC 350

BTW no one in their right mind will buy an EC 350/360 with 5.7s or 6.2s from you so your re-sale prospects will be dim. Soooo you'd better really like it with 5.7s or 6.2s as you will have it for a long time.

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT I thought you went away
  • Options
    edited July 2016

@dorrwalter.....BTW There is absolutely no comparison between thrusters and Axius. Front thrusters (common choice) are helpful for sure. Front and rear thrusters controlled from a single control (docking on demand) are better. Volvo joystock is better than either of the thrusters but...

(new paragraph required because the Axius Premium is in a completely different league of its own).......I have used the Volvo joystick and I did not think it was anywhere as good as the Axius...... Just ask anyone who has used Axius in a high wind, tight mooring or emergency situation. The Axius has low and high thrust capability and skyhook "hold in place" capability. I have ordered two Rinkers with Axius premium a 2013 EC 310 with twin 350 Mags with B lll drives and a 2014 Rinker EC 360 with twin 502 Mags and B lll X drives.

I have given slip mates lessons using Axius and have driven boats with thrusters (Rinker EC 350) and Docking On Command (Meridian) ....Axius Premium blows the completion away. It's in a class of its own.

So according to your pocket book get either a Rinker EC 310 with twin 350 Mags/Axius and B lll and trade it up later to Rinker EC 360 with twin 496s or 502 magnums/Axius with B lll X drives - or get the properly equipped 360 in the first place.

Don't waste your money on an EC 340. It's just a weird boat.

.....I did Steve but I can't watch a potential Rinker owner buy some one else's mistake and underpowered boats are just heart-breakers. I couldn't stand to see the magnificent Rinker EC 360 model get beaten by a kid in a 10 foot aluminum boat with  7.5 on it.

• Options
    Thank you for all the responses! I appreciate you giving me straightforward advice and guiding me in the right direction. I didn't believe the 5.7 or 6.2 had the right amount of power for this weight and size boat but now after MT posted his response I am positive. Thanks again! 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dorrwalter, don't ever think any Rinker is underpowerd if it has diesels. Just sayin
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @dorrwalter yes, it's the weight AND windage. Our EC 360 when "wet" - for a trip - 7/8 fuel, full water tank, empty waste tank, food, drink and clothes for a trip with the Admiral and I on it was almost 9 TONS. That's asking a lot of engines. Also the Rinker 350/360 model "stands tall". There is 7 FEET of head room in the lower cabin and even more in the cockpit so the engines are also having to push that resistance through the air. Add full canvas and smaller engines struggle. Torque (not HP) is what wrestles boats, particularly big boats, onto plane and only big blocks (or big diesels) have the breathing capability to do that.....If I sounded arrogant in my previous posts, my apologies - but I studied long and hard before I bought our EC 360 and rode a ton on 350/360 models. I would not want anyone to put engines that were too small in that boat. Those 350/360s are BIG girls! :-)
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    @dorrwalter yes, it's the weight AND windage. Our EC 360 when "wet" - for a trip - 7/8 fuel, full water tank, empty waste tank, food, drink and clothes for a trip with the Admiral and I on it was almost 9 TONS. That's asking a lot of engines. Also the Rinker 350/360 model "stands tall". There is 7 FEET of head room in the lower cabin and even more in the cockpit so the engines are also having to push that resistance through the air. Add full canvas and smaller engines struggle. Torque (not HP) is what wrestles boats, particularly big boats, onto plane and only big blocks (or big diesels) have the breathing capability to do that.....If I sounded arrogant in my previous posts, my apologies - but I studied long and hard before I bought our EC 360 and rode a ton on 350/360 models. I would not want anyone to put engines that were too small in that boat. Those 350/360s are BIG girls! :-)

Nice to see you still around a bit, hope your doing well :-)
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mt when I read this post last nite, I was hopeing you would help this guy.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MT, No need to apologize at all, you didn't sound arrogant. I really liked your comments and this has helped a lot. I appreciate all the help.
  • Options
    @BMXZ and @randy56, thank you! Doing OK, slated for next round of chemo in early August. Was at my old marina today to talk with some of the guys. A man came up to me and asked if I remembered him, before I could say no, he said I had given him a "tour" of our EC 360 in the summer of 2014. He had been at the marina looking at a sea ray for sale and his Admiral liked the look of our Rinker 360. He pointed at a white Rinker EC 360 way down a dock and said it was a 2011 Rinker EC 360 with 496s and Axius. I asked him if he got it right. Big grin on his face said it all. LO. My best to all of you guys. Have a great boating summer. I think of you all the time and it always brings a smile to my face.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Good luck MT prayers sent your way........ Your the best!!!!!!!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Thank you Ray, that means a lot to me!