Options

interesting happenstance on the water....

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
so a strange thing happened a week or so ago.... 

I live on a residential road leading to one of the more popular area launches.... Mid day last Saturday a 2 ton decked out chevy truck pulling a tricked out bright green (either wrapped or painted) 33 or so foot fountain was HAULIN BUTT well in excess of 60mph, and in a 25mph zone... 

you have to have a pass to use the ramp, but a lot of people splash and dash... I'd never seen this truck or boat, so I knew that was what was about to happen...  I watched him line up on the ramp (there was no wait at this point), and he/they must have been pretty proficient at launching, because by the time I'd mowed the line facing them twice, with my back to them still mowing they zipped back past, sans boat, still excess of 60mph... I made a mental note of the tags and description because I intended to call or stop by the police and tell them about it... children, animals, walkers/runners/bikers ought not have to worry about these things.... the windows were too dark tinted and the truck too fast to get a look at the drivers.... turns out, however, they just parked across the highway at a lowes.... and where they got caught later- but not for their speeding...

it was three well-to-do teenagers in daddy's purchased toys... they apparently went about harassing boaters out on the water- turning donuts around them, not allowing them to escape, and almost capsizing several... the other boats would pick a line as the story was told, and almost get on step when they would make a B line straight to intercept, which would cause the others to pull back hard, swerve one way or the other, or straight up reverse to keep from getting hit... the teenagers were laughing uncontrollably at themselves, sometimes passing within feet of these boats- after they were done playing with one boat, they would high tail it toward another and do it all over again... apparently the fountain was a lot faster than a friend of a friends boat who went after them- and his boat isn't slow... 

they apparently did this over and over over the next few hours all up and down the sound- where is the coast guard when you need them?  apparently they went up the sound to next city up and did it there for the last bit of their tour, and then road a solid WOT all the way back to the launch dusting anyone in their way.... a 33'+ boat in excess of 70mph with children at the helm is about as dangerous as it sounds, apparently... 

turns out I wasn't the only one who took offense to their on-land driving... someone else had alerted the police... the police were watching the truck, parked across the highway at lowes, and well aware of the reports coming in off the water.  they could have picked up the driver(s) of the car and truck when one dropped off the other, or, they could have nabbed them at the launch... but they waited... waited until the boat was retrieved and it barreled back through the neighborhood... then the state got them, held them for the coast guard (who had collected videos made by harassed boaters), and they had the entire planet of misdeeds thrown at them... I don't know how I feel about that... I know doing it the way they did maximized the charges, but what about the risks while they were 'playing'?  turns out they were all high and drunk... turns out their bail was set so high daddy's decided to let them sit it out... 

but here is the next bit:  turns out they almost got shot.  and I don't know how I feel about this bit... that friend of a friend carries everywhere he goes- legally, of course... and it turns out he was drawing a bead on these guys when it was his boat, his wife, and his two under ten year old children on board being harassed... he was going to either break gel coat or break skin- apparently they saw him draw and hightailed it out of there... this guys boat is fast- 60 or so... he couldn't keep up or catch them, and his temper subsided (likely due to his wife) before he let those rounds fly... mighty murky territory in my opinion... would it have been an engagement due to anger or due to resolve somebody using a deadly weapon and in defense of your family of that deadly weapon?  I speak morally, not legally- legally, if he had touched off a round I think he's gonna get hammered... I don't know that, and my attorney wife doesn't know how that would be interpreted either... it is gray due to the negligence of the teenagers.....

anyway... crazy tale, huh?  I thought I'd share... be careful out there y'all... 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always one or more nutbags out there. More money just means more expensive trouble from my experience. Eventually these types make one too many mistakes, you just hope some bystander is not the victim. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad they got caught and nobody got hurt.  But if somebody did do something that resulted in the teens getting injured all you would hear is how great of kids they were and just made a mistake.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    like I tried to imply, I'm kinda torn over the whole thing- there is no question the kids were doing wrong whatsoever... and even good people do things wrong from time to time- but adding a wrong sure doesn't make it right... the law enforcement gambling that there would be no injuries while they stacked up a rap sheet is questionable in my opinion, too... there is just a list of what the effs in this one... in the end, I'm glad I wasn't out there and I'm very glad nobody got hurt.... 
  • Options
    I agree sitting around by the police/CG to rack up violations was not smart, should have put a stop to it asap.  I have to agree, that adding a wrong (shooting) would have been a bad move and the whole thing would have come back on your friend, not in a good way either. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    also, I should add- this is the first time I've ever heard of this type of behavior around here... i think this bad is rare... maybe around bigger coastal cities it isn't that uncommon, but incidents like that with such malice are rare, here... 

a drunken boater isn't uncommon, though... a fella hit a dock so hard in his yellowfin a few weeks ago that it flew airborne for what the paper said was "fifty yards into the woods".... that is moving out, no?  drunk in the creek is the only explanation for that... he was no less dangerous than the kids, at least to the people tied to an adjacent dock, but there wasn't the malice.... know what I mean?  I'm not saying he was lessor of evils- but that intent sure makes it appear differently.  

edited to add: 
    http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news_times/article_85011864-41ec-11e6-ae09-9b22e36b0374.html

by the way, I've been waiting for an article about the last one before I posted the story, but I've not seen it discussed anywhere except for those involved talking about it... 
  • Options
    I'm sure that will buff right out (from article).  lol 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    It's Jack-a$$es like this that ruin pleasurable pass times that the rest of us work so hard for to be able to enjoy. I'm reminded of the "Affluenza" dip sh#t teen whose defense to a drunken manslaughter charge was that he was brought up in an atmosphere of privilege and couldn't distinguish right from wrong. Yeah, right. Then he's caught Youtubing himself violating probation by smoking dope and drinking and he and Mama flee to Mexico!!! But this is really a huge failure in parenting as far as I'm concerned. If you have a kid/kids, regardless of your socio-economic status, for cripes sake, do your freakin job, you sub moronic idiots.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    It certainly isn't common around here, but we all have a responsibility to report that kind of stuff.

Idiots like that are yet another reason why every boat should have a VHF radio, even if the captain never goes offshore.  See it, report it.  Help the USCG and local law enforcement deal with it before somebody gets hurt.
  • Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    That is a crazy story, all around- thanks for sharing.  Def glad to hear no one was hurt on land or sea. 

I wonder if they were waiting to have an actual law broken in their presence given that reports of driving a boat like an idiot isn't necessarily illegal- even less likely to be cited by a pavement cop.  Could be, I certainly don't know.  I would be interested to know what kind of charge one would get.  I'm sure the CG had something to hit them with.

On a side note, the link wasn't working for me so I searched boating on CarolinaCoastonline.  Looks like the kids aren't the only one's to worry about!
    http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news_times/article_28a9688a-3d61-11e6-b23c-7fed88395cc5.html
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    We were coming around a bend on our local reservoir one time and came upon this sight! Turns out, the guy was drunk, hit a boat, took off from the scene at high speed with wife and two young kids aboard who all became projectiles when this idiot ran it into the bank. Oh, and the water is about 50 ft away from this spot.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_eH229fMfM

this happened last year in DC.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    What was the outcome do you know?  I'm sure the officer telling someone to relax after he slammed into their boat is a real treat to deal with.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

Post edited by halifax212 on