Options

Ice Maker

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
All of a sudden my ice maker fill tube is freezing inside the ice maker. I was thinking of cutting a small portion of the tube off on the top of the tube. Any other ideas????????
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You use this thing?
  • Options
    You use this thing?
    Absolutely......... I love my ice maker and it works great except for this new problem.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Any chance you can take a pic?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree that the ice maker is nice to have, we love it. Raybo have you thawed it out? Ours has a very small drip down the wall where the fill tube comes through the wall. The drip will eventually puddle and freeze. I assume there is a small plastic crack in the ice maker near the water fill and it will need to be replaced soon. Anyway after thawing and restarting it is much less of a problem. Maybe you just need to thaw it out. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    If the fill tube is completely frozen it's usually a sign that the water valve isn't closing completely.  I would look for a replacement valve.   
  • Options
    Is it possible there is warm air entering around the tube in the back. 
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Ice maker sounds like such a good option to have lol. Wish I had one on my 280
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    @Liberty44140 and @checkmate I have thawed it out and I only get about a 1/2 bucket of ice the the tube freezes again. Only about a half inch of the tube freezes. The "guts" of the unit are new last year including the water valve and no problems last year. I think what is happening is that a very small amount of water is not fully "draining" from the tube and is freezing so every time it delivers water that little bit of ice gets bigger and bigger. I also noticed that the first cubes are bigger than the last ones. 
  • Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    I bet that new valve has dirt/debri stuck in it where the valve shuts.  Judging by all the stuff that builds up in the faucet filter.  You might be able to take the valve apart and clean it.  I've done it on household appliances for the same reason.  Just never on the boat yet.  But same principle.
  • Options
    Ok here is what I did. Went to the boat and had a half inch in the tube again but noticed an unusual amount of frost. I also noticed that the t-stat was turned all the way up. I lowered the stat down and going to head to the boat shortly. @checkmate good point about the dirt in the valve. The club had a water leak that was repaired and very easily could have debris in there. That will be my next move if this does not help. Thanks guys for the replys........
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, let us know how that worked. The TStat all the way up certainly could have froze it at the entry point. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW check your fan on the consenser. Mine just died and it must have got pretty toasty in the process. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I use mine all the time.  I would look and see if the tube end has any mineral build up not letting it drain.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I "shaved" off some of the top of the tube and I also lowered the temp setting a little bit. Somehow it got turned all the way up. Working great now.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Not sure I ever knew the ice maker had somewhere you can change the temp.  I'll have to look around.

I love the ice maker.  I never knew what I was missing, but nothing better than getting to the boat on Thursday night and full of ice!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    The temp adjustment is a screw behind the front panel on the bottom. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    DI I totally agree I love my ice maker. Working great now. Plus I adjusted the cube size so they are a little smaller. Takes a little longer to fill the bucket but the smaller cubes are better.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Thanks BD.  Now that you mention it, I know exactly where you are talking.  For some reason I was thinking a knob that I missed.  I've messed behind that box before playing with the whole timing of water in, freezing and then it rotating the ice out.  Several little switches that fun to play with.  & yes, I've messed with the cube size as well.  Great to hear it's working well Raybo!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    U-Line Ice Maker manual attached for those missing or needing it.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    pinkish_pantherpinkish_panther Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the manual, I'd been looking all over the place for it!