Going from Fairhaven NY to Cedar Point in my 88 Fiesta Vee 250

BigWeekend88BigWeekend88 Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
Hey Guys, 

As most of you know I refurbished that 88 Fiesta this winter. Ive put her through trials... 30-45 min runs at 3500 RPM and put about 8 tanks of gas through the engine so far this year..(we run her ALOT) suffice to say I think she's sound enough to make the journey. 

I have what I think is a pretty reliable Garmin GPS system and a VHF radio. Im thinking of carrying 10-20 gallons of gas on board (tank is only 35 gallons)

My question is.. Any of you guys who do long runs (i figure it will take me 4-5 hours one way)..What are your must haves? 

Comments

• WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    What speed you planning on running?  I live in Cleveland and it is every bit 2 - 2:30 hours to cedar point at 25-28mph with the normal 3-4' chop and wind.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    More I think about it, there must be another cedar point.  You would be days to cedar point amusement park in Sandusky Ohio.   Lol
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    I friend of mine bought a Formula 34pc here in Port Clinton Ohio a month ago. He lives near Presque Isle in Erie Pa. He made the run back to his area non stop and it took him about 4 hours at 30mph. Took a bunch of fuel. Doesnt answer your question about must haves but gives you an idea of what to expect.
    Have a secondary GPS if you can. 2 sources of VHF radio and become a member of Boat US for the unlimited towing. File a float plan with someone so they will know where you are at all times. Also, you might want to consider using the AP called GYMPSE. It allows someone to see where you are at all times on a map during your trip. The drawback is that you remain in cell phone coverage for it to work, Its a nice feature and adds piece of mind.
    The Boat US app has a great option for filing float plans, may want to download that.
  • NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Boat US tow plan is a good idea, $150 of cheap insurance.  A tow from the middle of the lake back in could run thousands of dollars $$$$.
  • BigWeekend88BigWeekend88 Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Thanks guys... I bought the boat is insurance and have geico insurance. Got it before I put the boat in the water to ensure I wouldn't  need it (haha)
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boat us is like AAA not ins.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Spare belt , fuel filter, a quart of every oil she takes , maps of area. Float plan with at least two different people knowing where I'm going. If traveling out side of cell service two Vhf one hand held. Provisions for at least a night on lake and a ditch bag. Have fun