Options

Getting Boat to Plane - 2000 Fiesta Vee 310

Any advice please - Had about 10 people on the boat over the weekend and could NOT get the boat to plane! I could only get my boat to basically PLOW which leaves a huge wake and can't go above about 10 MPH. I tried it all.... Trim tab adjustments, engine trim, relaunched several times from neutral. 

When it's just my family I have NO problem getting up to 40 MPH and on plane fast. Is this a driver error, engine issue, or just the way it is when you have the engines I have?

Engines:

Twin Engines with Carbs (260 hp) These are the 5.0's 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your bottom and drives clean?
  • Options
    Maybe your trim tabs are not going down
  • Options
    ryanj013ryanj013 Member Posts: 12
    Brand new bottom paint this year. Bottom is perfect! I feel like the trim tabs are working though because they move the boat pretty good when I tap them. Is there a good way to test those since it's in the water? Should those twin engines be able to get up and go with a full load of people? 
  • Options
    Maybe not. You ever had that many people on board?
  • Options
    Or maybe the tabs are not going back up? I used to put a broom stick on top and have someone work the switch. 
  • Options
    JstewJstew Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
     I have the exact same boat with the same motors.  I had about eight adults and five kids on a few weeks ago with about three quarter tank of gas and a full freshwater tank.   It was definitely slower getting on plane than normal but I did make it and topped out at about 27 mph.  The only time that I've had problems getting on plane with that much of a load was when my trim tabs were not operating. I believe it was the hydraulic fluid if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @handyman's 342 is on to it. 10 people on a 310 with 5.0s The answer is pretty clear to me - too much weight to be moved by 5.0s. How does it respond with 4 people and a normal "wet load" would be my question and answer. If it still plows at 10 mph (which I doubt) I would look at props (wot range indication) then engines in that order as you say the hull is clean. IMO you just have too much weight for those size engines to handle.
  • Options
    And I'm also on the lake of the Ozarks up by the lodge of 4 seasons. I've been testing out different mechanics for various things.  I'd be interested to hear if u have any good recommendations. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rayn, I do not have the same boat but with 10 on board, I would have allready explaned to them we are not getting on plane today. enjoy the ride. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Guys this is all amazing feedback! It sounds like I do need to check my trim tabs for proper operation. Beyond that if those work properly then maybe acceptance that I need more HP!! If there are another other thoughts feel free to leave them this helps big time. 
  • Options
    Jstew said:
    And I'm also on the lake of the Ozarks up by the lodge of 4 seasons. I've been testing out different mechanics for various things.  I'd be interested to hear if u have any good recommendations. 
    Jstew I use first mate yacht service. I tried Kelly's Port and whoa are they disorganized! Really a mess. first mate yacht service is priced fairly and they do really nice work. 
  • Options
    Imagine all the money Al makes with great and honest service?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you use the 3 people per 10' of boat, you were likely overloaded. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Thanks. 
    Post edited by Jstew on
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    @ryanj013 - did you try moving passengers toward the bow?  If you have too much weight at the stern, that can make it tough to get on plane.   
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    +2 with LaRea move people up front would have helped. 10 people seems kind of high. Hope you had 10 life jackets.......... Just say'n.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the gang here. I had a 310 with 5.0's and it sounds like no problem with the boat. Just too many people. That boat took longer to get on plane than my 342. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    FlyingBlind310FlyingBlind310 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    I have the same boat ('01) with EFI 5.0's (rated for 240 I believe). Over July 4th, I had 9 ppl and a loaded cooler (1/2 fuel/water with no canvas) and she struggled to plane but eventually got there. I had to go WOT for 20/30 seconds and made sure I had a long runway with no other boats around.

Not something I want to do often but glad to see its possible with my setup.

2001 310 Fiesta Vee

T-5.0 FWC Mercs w/ B2

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    well, I think most hit already.  I really don't like anymore than 8 on my size boat cause that extra weight can make it struggle and not great for the boat.  I used to have a 310 with the 5.0MPIs and I could see 10 people keep it from getting on plane.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    My 280 twin 6 carbed actually does pretty good. 7 to 8 people I can still slowly throttle to get on plane at 3100 rpm and hold it there
    doing 24 mph or so

• Options
    My diesels are faster!!!!!
  • Options
    @ Handy, with all that power you have, Have you ever had a lot of people on there? report - load and planeing possables with diesels, advantages/ disavantages we have several guys on here with 342's and gasser's. interesting question.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dont know Randy. I have the same torque but far less HP. No problem getting on plane with full everything and 5 people. 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    3100 cruise at 24 to 26mph
    4000 now your moving with 6 plus
    runnng ss props 
  • Options
    As I have posted before my top speed is 32MPH at 3400 rpm. Cruise at 28 at 3000 rpm.
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    We are still hoping to and looking forward to a trip to the Ft. Meyers area to among other things compare boat performance between diesels and 300 hp gassers.  
  • Options
    You had your chance Tony
  • Options
    I bet there will be some cold beverages consumed that day, fun!
    Boat Name :