Options

Ac on all the time

jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
You guys leave your AC on shore power all the time when not on it? Do you leave fridge on all the time? thoughts comments?

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I run the AC at 75 degrees all week until I make it back on the weekend.  Also fridge is always on.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and yes. If you have Merc drives, the Mercathode is always on and will drain the batteries pronto. Plus any little parasitic loads: CO monitor, GPS antenna, radio, etc. 

takes way to long to cool down the frigs if they are warm, IMO. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh ha ha I thought ac meant air conditioning.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I misread that. Guessing he meant air conditioning. Yup. That on too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Ya I meant Air Conditioning on alternating current lol. Sorry should have clarified. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I do not run my Air Cond when I am not there. You never know if you break a hose and fill the boat water. I shut off shore water, air cond, fresh water pump, hot water heater. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shut down the air conditioner and ice maker when I am not at the boat. Both fridges always running. Of course battery charger is on. Only 3 switches on the entire panel that stay on are both fridges and charger. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options

@Liberty why the ice maker? That runs on shore power.

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I don't like the water on during the week and it won't make ice while the water is off. 

• Options
    But if you life the "arm" it wont make ice but it will stay cold and keep what ever ice you have frozen....
  • Options
    Yea your right. I guess it's just me, no real mechanical or electrical reason. 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

Liberty, it will only try to make ice when there is water pressure.  I always turn my water off when I leave (I had a friend's 270 catch fire because water pump kept running).  My ice maker will make ice with the pressure there and then stop.  When I get to boat and turn water on, it immediately starts making ice again. 

I keep my boat on a lift, so no air conditioning.  Not sure I'd leave something on like that which a water pump could flood the boat.  Same with city water hookup - always off when we step off boat.

Fridges are always on with cold drinks! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put my A/C unit on Moisture Mode when I leave. Both fridges stay on to keep them cold. I shut off the hot water tank. No need to heat water when I am not there.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Water pump off here too. AC always on. Every boat by me leaves the AC on too. Frigs/Ice maker on too plus battery charger. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I put AC on moisture mode, leave fridges on, in addition, I shut off water, shut off water heater, Ice maker is not working so that's always off, shut off micro and coffee maker.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    i tried HUM mode the other day and really didnt seem to do much when i came back in the next day. 
  • Options
    BreadRunnerBreadRunner Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    I leave the frig on, battery charger on and AC on Humidity Control.  Always wonder if it's a good idea using Humidity Control but I think it keeps the mold from forming.

• Options
    ya tempted to just leave the AC on all the time when its hot. why not 
  • Options
    Everyone around here has the AC on all the time. Just saying. It is common. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Hi jmichels, was your initial question about leaving your AC=electrical on or AC=air conditioning on? This is getting a little hard to follow.
  • Options
    bry1429.  Was about leaving the Air Conditioning on all the time. 
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    jmichels said:
    bry1429.  Was about leaving the Air Conditioning on all the time.  Thanks jmichels....
    I figured why put undo wear-n-tear on an air conditioning unit while your not there to enjoy. A proper working unit could cool down your boat quite quickly when you arrive to your boat. Now as far as pulling all the humidity out of all the cabin space and upholstery will take a little time on a hot and sticky day but it takes very little time to get comfortable after turning the a/c on along with some good air moving fans.
    Post edited by bry1429 on
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I leave damprid in my boat year round, leave aft window slightly cracked, leave hatch shade in which blocks sun/heat, and I am in a covered slip which helps tremendously.  I do not not leave AC on for fear of flooding boat and no need for wear and tear on system as bry1429 stated.  Also my 270 cools down in minutes after I arrive.  Just crack a cold one to help balance you out!  Which is why I leave fridge on, just turned down a bit while I am gone.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270