Options

First time doing this service(s)...Cost legitimate? (Pictures)

viper3881viper3881 Member Posts: 16
Hey all this is my 3rd topic post and I ALWAYS try to be very specific in my post so I can get all your expert opinions. Here is the breakdown.

1. Service location is in Illinois west of Chicago (In case people want demographics)
2. Shops hourly rate is 125hr
3. Pull out and put back in my Rinker 330 Fiesta Vee from marina to shop (owned by same people) 1 mile away is $330.

Now the nuts and bolts

The project started because I wanted to upgrade my mechanical throttles to the new Mercury MRC4500's. Wife was having a hard time shifting starboard so it was time for an upgrade instead of just upgrading cables. It is a 1999:) Below I will do images to make it easier. I will list the parts here of what I'm supplying them, and they are only doing the labor.

REMEMBER - We are doing some items because its in the general area of service, and some are just cosmetic upgrades that we wanted. The cosmetic stuff is hard to gauge price, but the mechanic should have a general rule of thumb across major cities I  would think. What I'm looking for is HOLY CRAP you're getting ripped off, or that seems somewhat fair.

PARTS SUPPLIED
1. (Supplied Part) New electric direct replacement lift motor. 
2. (Supplied Part) Generator Raw water filter Brass
3. (Supplied Part) Fuel sending unit
4. (Supplied Part) Transom reseal kit

Services and labor

1. Shift throttle replaced
2. Transom Reseal kit installed
3. Shift cables installed
4. Water pump kit (x2) 
5. Remove old hatch motor with new one
6. TV mount on arch with power/coax outlet
7. Install fule sending unit

PICTURES

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @viper3881 wow, I had some work done this spring, not the same, but you be the judge, on compareing,  here's some cost. I have single 300 mpi,
    sea pump labor and materials, labor$234.00, materials $45.57
    change gear lube in outdrive, labor 78.24 racing gear lube 58.50  
    Replace Transom assembly parts 2740.27 labor 811.20 
    replace coupler assy rear motor mounts, distributor cap, rotor, plugs. parts 654.50 labor 390.00
    and a few other misc. items total $5392.12
    I think they go by the book on labor charges, same as car dealers, instead of by the hour. The TV deal is the one they beat you up on, I did that replacement myself, this spring in a few hours. I think the antena was about $100.00
    hope this helps. break out another $5000. LOL
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    56 I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'm going to start another one keying off of something you listed... i'm not being critical, I'm just sharing some experiences... 
  • Options
    viper3881viper3881 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the post I got them to come down about 700 bucks for paying cash. This fits more in what I was thinking. 
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    $500 to install a TV mount. WOW! Couple bolts, run wire and drink beer. Glad I do mine own work.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are mostly crooks and they think because we have a big boat that we have to have money. 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    17 year old boat. Some necessary repairs in there......it is what it is.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

On my EC 310 I helped the tech run a co-ax cable from the TV splitter cabinet to the port cockpit hard top arch arm. It took the two of us almost 4 hours. We could have done it faster if we had just rammed a metal fish line everywhere without regard for other wiring and headliners etc. ....but we took our time and I saw first hand how hard it was. It took me another two hours to cut and install the gold coax receptacle with terminating end and another two hours to zip tie everything down. We tried to do it without damaging other equipment, puncturing water lines or damaging the cable. Then I fabricated aluminum backing plates for the swivel support arm for the TV and added a 110v receptacle. In a cruiser that takes time. At $115+ per hour it costs. That's boating life!

The EC 360 was another matter altogether. We ran high performance HDMI cables, 90 degree HDMI receptacle and a separate infrared "eye" to the port hard top arm so that we could use the remote for the cockpit satellite TV without having to go below. THAT took two days plus another three days for me to fabricate a backing plate for the swivel TV support and install it.

In most marine cruiser installations there's a fast way and a good way - pick one.