Options

EPIRB

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
for anyone interested, Landfall Navigation has EPIRBs on sale plus rebates. I got this for $400. Small too! 10 year battery. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if that thing calls yellow birds as depicted in the packaging, I don't want anything to do with it... yellow birds, pink elephants, red dogs- all of them are bad news.... I prefer my medivac/rescue birds either gray, green, desert khaki, or red.... maybe even black or blue... I'm not getting on a yellow bird... they have but one destination... 

but seriously....  

I'm in the market for a radio w/gps and duress... I doubt I need this, but thanks for the lead all the same!!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    A marine radio with GPS/DSC is a great adder. Probably all most boaters need for recreation, unless you are on big/open water.  Remember you have to register the DSC or it is useless.  These will ping the USCG rescue boats/aircraft in US waters. I've been renting these from Boat US for bigger trips on Lk Mich here. At $400 I pay it off in two trips, plus the kicker on the older ones was replacing the battery was not a DIY and expensive. 

For me, I can be easily 50 miles off shore or just plain 30+ miles from a port. 
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Yeah, 50 miles is bigger water than I ever see ... although VHF/DSC only works while the boat's 12V system stays alive.  I haven't priced EPIRBs, but $400 seems low.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I agree with @B_D....If I were even 10 miles off shore with any regularity I would have an EPIRB. Think of it this way, that's $100 for you, your Admiral and two kids, grandkids or friends. It's hard to buy a decent meal for four people (with a drink) for under $400. I had radar and DSC but boats can go down fast -or - worse be subjected to fire. It would be a lonely feeling to be far from the sight of land in the water. That $400 is 1/8 the price of good radar (which many have but few use - they seem to just like the look of it) LOL
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I do a lot of boating by myself, truly love it.  But scares the Sh$$ out of my family.  I have a marine handheld radio with DSC and wear an inflatable PFD, but thinking of getting a EPIRB or even a GPS tracker.  Think its necessary?  I boat in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries so no ocean cruising yet.  However the bay is no joke, no water is.  

I am thinking of asking Santa for this one but I dont know too much about EPIRBs.  Currently doing my homework.

https://www.amazon.com/ACR-PLB-375-ResQLink-Personal-Locating/dp/B006JXY0CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481645607&sr=8-1&keywords=EPIRB

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Patrick, I'd never deter you from getting a safety device as good as the EPIRB can be.  I will say though, you have the best two things for the Chesapeake bay:  inflatable that you wear, and a handheld DSC (that is hopefully registered).  There aren't too many places on the bay where you can't see land, so VHF works well. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited December 2016
    What about a good GPS tracker, anyone have one?  I dont know if getting an app is the best idea.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep your cell in a baggie
  • Options
    I have a waterproof case which is in a floating case.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been looking to buy an ACR PLB, exact one that @06Rinker270 posted. At $150 less than the EPIRB I assume that the EPIRB has some kind of functionality that the PLB does not. Any idea what the PLB is missing?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Handy simple explaination:

http://epirb.com/difference_between_EPIRBs_PLBs.php

PLB's can be handy for MOB if you have a locator too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)