Options

Volvo Penta SX DP-S Tilt-Trim Cylinders Leaking

BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all, I am looking for a little advice,

I’m sorry if this issue has already been addressed in another discussion, I’m still pretty new here and new to this boat.  I have a 2004 250FV with a Volvo Penta outdrive, the tilt-trim cylinders are leaking. They sell rebuild kits for them on ebay, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck rebuilding them or is it a waste of time?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bruce

2004 250 FV 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Hey Bruce...according to Randy Rinker, these are definitely repairable...it usually just the seals that leak and need to be replaced. 
  • Options

Thanks that's what I was hoping. I just ordered a seal kit from ebay for $145.00, I'll let you know how it turns out.  Thanks again for the research.

2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Update I got the tilt/trim cylinders rebuilt last night. If anyone else has leaking cylinders and is thinking about doing this themselves, I would highly recommend it. For a total of $145.00 plus the cost of 2 quarts of fluid and about an hour total time, mine are now leak free. The only hard part of the whole job is removing the end caps. I was not able to get them loose while they were still mounted on the boat using a pin wrench. I had to remove them (which is very easy, 4 “E“ clips and 4 lines) and put them in a vice and use a punch and a hammer to break the caps loose. After that the job is very easy and only took about 15 minutes, and most of that is spent cleaning the parts. I hope this helps someone else.
    2004 250 FV