Options

310 underpowered?

Comments

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    MT

Have a look at boatdealers.ca 2015 310 LE EC on page 8 twin 5.7 Volvo  with your U.S dollars 30 to 35% o
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it says: Deal Pending, Paul
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 2012 is a beautiful boat!!! Wow!!! If I was in the market... $137,000 US isn't a bad price at all. Maybe someone will by my 280 for $100,000. Ha, ha!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Michael T the link is below for the 2015 310 with the 5.7 Volvo's. 

http://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/242486/rinker-310-le-ec-midland-ontario
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg isn't it beautiful? I have been emailing the Sales Mgr this afternoon back and forth with questions haha. A little over my price point but I'll watch it. Maybe they get stuck with it during the winter 
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
     That 2015 310 is for sale now not pending anymore I  just talk to John in sale department 
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Wth! I just called there 3  hours ago?!  I emailed port Lewis about the 2012 with the hardtop and black hull and it's powered by the 350 MAGS. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

This IS exciting! Love talking about buying RINKERS...especially when someone else is paying. The Admiral has hidden my credit cards and cheque book and I think she called the bank this afternoon - it's over for me I'm out of the running LOL....so, it's up to you now @jme097!

That 2012 EC 310 at Port Lewis is loaded. I bet the price could be negotiated down. 

That 2015 EC 310 is up for sale AGAIN? WTH for sure,  I guess someone's bank said no way! THAT sounds like great deal! Does the 2015 have Axius?

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    @ 097

Fact - twin 5.0''s are plenty of power!  When I had my 2006 320 with twin VP 5.0's. She popped right up on plane.  Cruised at 32mph and top end 42mph.  

At one point I had 10 adults,  full fuel and water and she got right up on plane to 32mph with zero hesitation. 

Now what I can say is the 5.7 will give you a bit better fuel economy since the rpms will be slightly lower at simular speeds.

Twin 5.0 = 1.1 mpg at 32 mph.  

Hope this helps.

Mark

• Options

Stay away from 5.0s too small a block for loads, fuel economy too poor under load and less resale. No one I know has said they were happy with twin 5.0s in their cruiser unless they were trying to sell it - which is hard because in our area the word is out on the underperformance.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    ok, been out enjoying the boat for several days, back to the forum.  I just can't let this one go.  I sold my boat with 5.0s in less than 2 weeks after putting it on craigslist.  Never a problem. Sorry here, but only thing I thought would've been better is if it was fresh water cooled instead of being raw water.  But that never seemed to be an issue either. I'd seen the new owner of that boat and he had 8 people on it that day and was fully loaded (I mean more loaded than I did for a 10-day trip).  He said he couldn't have been happier!!  MT, I COMPLETELY disagree with you.  That boat never ever underperformed.  & I won't even get started on my 400 with my 496s.  I cruise with someone that has the 390 with diesels. I'll just say, I'm very happy with my 496s!! I feel 45mph is plenty enough for a 400.  This past Friday I had 10 adults on it and it was no more than 6 or 7 seconds and all of a sudden I had to pull those throttles back cause I saw 35.7 mph on my VV.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Hahaha, thanks for all the input guys. I didn't know this would spark so much debate!
  • Options
    edited July 2016

@jme097, yeah, but good healthy debate, as usual! Discussing HP and MPH is waaay more fun than discussing clogged toilets! :-)

Steve you're going to love this. John, maybe not so much.

The Admiral and I were on the last Rinker EC 400 ever built. It had twin 502s with B lll X drives. It had about 1/2 tank of fuel. No gear other than factory options. There was also one small sales person. It was a cold Spring day with low humidity (good air charge for gasoline engines). Canvas down, no wind about 2" ripple on the water. In other words perfect conditions.

It took some serious time to get on plane and at wot did 44.8 mph. BTW that was with the technologically excellent 502s not marinized truck engines (496s).....and B lll X drives not B lls

Yesterday, the Admiral said "Look, I think there are two EC 400s pulling into the marina below us" (see attached picture). I took a picture from my friend's condo window and decided to walk down. They had left for dinner. I went down later that night and we "talked Rinkers".

I asked about wot and mph. Both had 496s. One guy said my speedo shows 46 mph but my gps shows 40 +/- mph. The other guy said mine shows 47+ mph but my gps shows 41+ mph.

I asked if they had ever hit 45 mph and they just laughed.

Both guys said they wished they had diesels as they felt their boats were underpowered, the engines had to work too hard and they burned too much fuel

To put it into perspective. When we tested the wot of our 2014 EC 360 it was also a Spring day with perfect conditions for maximum performance and the canvas was down. There was little fuel and no gear with three people on board. We hit 50 mph. That was with twin 502s and B lll X drives.

Later, in the Summer, with full loads and hotter more humid air 47 mph at wot was the best

So, John, you're telling me with the load that you have you can hit 45 mph with a boat that weighs 2+ tons (4130 pounds) more than my EC.

Well, John, I think you should check your gauges against a gps....and if you're using a gps you need a new one. One thing for sure, your boat is beautifully named...dream'in! 

The Admiral's brothers bought boats a few years ago a Glasstron and a Stingray. I suggested the 4.3LX for both. the glasstron bought the 3.0 the Stingray the 4.3LX. Guess who was happy. My first Rinker a 190 came standard with a 3.0. The salesman said "Get the bigger engine you will never be sorry moving-up in engine size". I put a 4.3LX in  it, then a 350 Mag, then a 383/390HP stroker.

On this forum I have always said get the biggest engines your model will accept for your pleasure, your safety, your gas mileage, the longevity of the engines, and for re-sale. I stand by that.....as has been repeated on here many times, how many times have we heard I wish I had bigger engines, how many times have we heard my engines are too big?

For those who bought engines that were too small, that's a shame. For those of you about to buy....well the U.S.A. is a democracy.... you chose whose advice to follow!

BTW when you click on the picture icon below to enlarge it (if you want to) you can also use your cursor to click on the 400 Rinkers to enlarge the view of them. 

• Options
    Both guys said they wished they had diesels as they felt their boats were underpowered, the engines had to work too hard and they burned too much fuel. LOLOLOLOL
  • Options

I guess MT, if I really wanted to blow an additional $200k, for a new 360, instead of what I spent on my 400, then I'd brag about 50mph as well.  Cause, that is about all you'd have had over a 400.  & yes, I've seen 45 mph with my GPS.  Good little story coming from someone that has never owned an older 310 or a 400, but seems to have so much experience with both over someone that now has 12 years between those 2 boats.  Is my gas mileage good, heck no.  I think we've both agreed on this one.  Who cares!  I really enjoy going out and burning the fuel. 

& as we know, diesels have more torque, but I'll say they don't plane any quicker (believe me, I've boated with two different 390s and they don't keep up when I get on plane - and I typically don't go over 4k rpm getting on plane)

@jme, you did start a good topic.  & hopefully you got good info out of this.  If you have that strong desire to go fast, (& not buy a loud go-fast style boat), then by all means, make sure you limit the used market to a boat that only has the largest motor that came with that model.  If you don't mind an extra second getting on plane, and maybe additional fuel burn, then you have more options.  I believe we had all agreed at one time that the motor itself is also what usually doesn't go or cause trouble, at least not from wearing out (longevity of engines?  LOL!  coming from someone that buys new and sells next year for another new one...ok, sorry for being a bit of an A$$, but really how many people do you know that any issues with their boat is because they wore the engine out?).  So, if I have to routinely go 3800rpms instead of going 3600 rpms with, well, I don't know what larger motor they put in a 400?... but well, it's ok.

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    What are the best Canadian websites to look for boats?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    All this talk of bigger engines is meaningless unless you include cost.  We'd all have huge engines if they weren't more expensive.  

It all boils down to one profound, existential question:  should a boat shopper buy the biggest available engines even if it means bumping down to a smaller boat with fewer features?  Who would you do:  a new EX 370 with power that is adequate, or a new EX 350 that will do 50 mph?  

Class, discuss amongst yourselves.
  • Options
    Im sure you could really hop up a 502 and get 65mph. Im surprised MTs boat could only hit 45
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    IMO if I wanted to go faster than 45mph I would have bought a "go fast" boat and not a cruiser. How fast is fast? I just got back from a trip and cruised about 32mph and it was perfect. Any faster and we would have gotten beat up...... Just say'n...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sheesh. Such a heat topic haha. Just to be clear...my main concern is not top end speed. My main concern is being able to plan with a full crew and gear on board and just over all performance. I am not looking to go 50 MPH.

@06Rinker270 I have been browsing www.boatdealers.ca but you can find Canadian boats onYachtworld as well
  • Options
    edited July 2016

@jme097, performance and economy have always been my prime concern too.

Don't worry about the heat. We are usually calm on here. Once in a while someone feels threatened and gets a little irrational and makes silly comments but things usually settle down.

We all have a Rinker model that we like.

I had the chance to swap my new  EC 360 with 0 hours  on it for a used - but in reality "new" EC 400 with 30 hours on it. Make no mistake the EC 400 was a beautiful looking boat. The 400, even with the magnificent 502s, took too long to plane and the engines had to work too hard to keep it on plane burning waaay too much gas.

That experience was just a metaphor for my life long experience with friends (and once me) buying an underpowered boat and regretting it. The cost for one brother-in-law to upgrade his engine from a 3.0 to a 4.3 was minimal and the difference for hauling friends, water skiing and tubing was dramatic. The other BIL who purchased the 3.0 regrets it to this day.

The reason I have always purchased the biggest engine, within reason, was not to go fast but to plane quickly, be able to carry larger loads/more family easier, and hold plane with lower rpms thereby burning less fuel. Properly sized engines/drives reduce stress on the entire drive line and its components!

I found out very early that for a slight cost to upgrade engines you saved the fuel.....and in a very reasonable amount of time....with all of the aforementioned benefits. PERFORMANCE=ECONOMY=FUN

Before purchasing our 2014 EC 360 I visited what used to be the biggest Rinker dealer in Quebec and one of the biggest in Canada. They had a huge amount of respect amoung all brands of boat dealers. That was - Marina Port Lewis. I understand now that NG has left and Kim Slocum has returned to Rinker that Marina Port Lewis will again become a Rinker dealer.

I asked at Marina Port Lewis why they always brought in Rinkers with the biggest motors available.

They said, "Most of our customers are experienced boaters who know what they are doing and even if they weren't we wouldn't sell underpowered boats. Bottom line, we can't sell the boats with the smaller motors.....and we often take them back on trade or for consignment and - again - if they have small motors no one wants them."

BTW, without mentioning names there is a dealer in the U.S. who used to be famous for bringing in Rinkers with small engines. At one time they had some EC 360s for sale with 350 mags....WHAT INSANITY.....Geez I put 350 Mags in my EC 310. I had a 350 Mag in a Rinker 190.

The two EC 400 Rinker owners I spoke with yesterday mentioned very expensive drive and coupler problems that they attributed directly to the stress their engines put on the drive components to achieve and hold plane when the 400s (their opinion) were far too big for gas engines. One of the owners wondered if the 502 High Output might work. His buddy responded - "I don't think even a 502 High Output would be enough for a 400. It obviously needs diesels and Rinker found that out."

IMO That guy knew what he was talking about. There is a very long story about why Nautic Global stopped producing the EC 400. I have spoken face to face with people involved in the court proceedings and been told about the detailed documentation.

Nautic Global ceased production of the EC 400 for, imo, sound reasons. The boat, at least in its 2014 configuration, was not meant for gas engines. There were just too many customer complaints and several serious law suits - the last one - I was told - required NG to replace a new EC 400 with another new EC 400. I was told that was the last straw for the 400.

Don't get me wrong I loved the EC 400. For its price it was amazing. I would buy one with diesels in a minute. I guarantee you that Rinker will never resurrect it without diesels. It is simply too big and heavy to perform efficiently with gasoline engines. The performance and economy are not there.

IMO the plight of the EC 400 is a text book case for having a boat that is too big for gasoline engines and would work beautifully with diesels.

I also believe that about putting 5.0s in ANY cruiser that Rrinker has made. Too small, period!

Therefore, IMO, anything less that a 502 in a Rinker 290 and anything less that 350 Mags in the EC 310 and 502 mags in the EC 360.....is ill advised.

As for any forum member deciding on engine size for a used or new purchase. If you have any boat but particularly a cruiser and you can afford the bigger engines.......

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    MT, I have to chime in here. Your 360 probably weighs close to my 342 and you had 940 HP and 900 torque. I have 480 HP but 1200 torque at 2400 RPMs. You would think 480 HP is not enough for a 342. I guess the torque makes all the difference.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

YES Steve! You are correct!.....100% 0n the money!

Your diesels don't need the HP when they have the massive torque. It has ALWAYS been the case that torque wrestles boats onto plane. Your diesels may not have the top end mph but who cares. You can cruise at a reasonable speed - forever.

An EC 400 at more than 2 TONS heavier than your 342 simply can not perform well using gassers. It is past the tipping point size wise.

The EC 360 is close to that size tipping point too but with 502s is still very viable for being powered by  gassers.

BUT put 6.2 Mags or (kill me now)350 Mags in a 350/360 and it's a straight-up dog!

BTW  Steve I couldn't order the 502 HOs (and they were a LOT more expensive) so my 502s were 2X380 HP for 720 HP

HP definitely counts - and as you know - HP and torque are linked mathematically BUT for moving mass torque is king......and for we guys' "normal" marine engines (not supercharged or turbocharged) you get torque from diesels or big block displacement gassers....and for gassers to get torque "normally" bigger block + bigger intake + bigger pistons + more pistons = torque (and HP)

• Options
    So a 502HO has 470 HP? And 470 Torque? 
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Steve the new 502s come in two HP ratings. The less powerful 502 is rated at 380 HP. The 502 High Output is rated at 430 HP. There is no question that the 502 High Output is a stronger engine with more torque than the "normal" 502 but it costs quite a bit more too. I was told for my EC 360 the 380 HP would be spot on....and it was.

BTW (you'll like this LOL)  When I purchased my EC 360 I was told the only diesel choice was Volvo. If the new super efficient Mercruiser diesels had been available I might have installed them ....IF we were going to keep the boat for at least 5 years.

Looking back I'm glad I didn't as I would have lost a lot of money when we sold after two years (which I didn't expect at purchase).

P.S. Not sure of either engine's torque ratings. They might be on the Mercruiser web site or in a Boat Test report.

......had to spell High Output as this forum's dumb a*s auto censor won't allow the two initials?

• Options

Curious what you think should be in a 342? I can't say I've seen or rode on too many that aren't sluggish. I've had no issue getting on plane faster. Interesting story about the 400. I'm sure glad they were made! We love ours!

I'd also like to know how an underpowered gasser would be any different than a diesel on couplers. I'll say my boat is pushing it for outdrives, but definitely not due to being gassers or underpowered.

if they screwed something up, it's not due to diesel or gas, but maybe should've been inboards. Of course I wouldn't have bought because I needed the ability to raise my drives.

• Options
    Exactly. Its all about staying within budget. I called again on the 2015 310 EC in Ontario that we talked about last week. It is back up for sale. It is LE so its a stripped down version. Does not have AC/Heat or the Windlass but they're adding it to the boat just to move it. Doesn't have a TV or a genny either which is kind of a let down because thats one of the reasons I want to upgrade. Boat it selling for $155K CAD which equats to about $117K USD Todd said. Just don't know if its worth upgrading to a stripped down boat or not. Or just plan on buying a EU2000 genny and powering that way
  • Options
    Dream, I do not believe I have a rubber coupler on my engines. The shaft for the outdrive slips right into the coupler bolted on the back of the engines crankshaft
  • Options

You need to weigh what you want. I wouldn't buy a boat that size without a Genny. (only one that is underpowered :) )

One other thing that came to mind I'd love to hear @alswagg chime in about is any difference for my 400 between the B2 drive and B3 drive when it comes to planing. Maybe that is also a difference mine gets on plane while some others have issues. I haven't seen others with a B2 drive.

Always fun to learn and discuss on here. One thing for sure, we'll all be enjoying whatever we have each weekend! (on the boat 21 of the next 27 days!)

• Options
    Handy, the only thing rubber on mine is the hub on the prop. Still not sure of I like that or not.