Options

Bilge pump not automatic

I'm noticing my bilge pump does not turn on automatically. It does work when I manually turn on the switch at the helm. Any suggestions what the problem can be? 

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The white block next to it is the float switch, which makes it automatic. The water has to get high enough to get trigger the float switch to kick on. One way to check is add water to the bilge high enough to trigger the float. If it doesn't kick on, replace the float switch.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    There is also a little knob or lever on the float switch that allows you to turn it on as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    another way to check float is to take out the two screws and turn it upside down, pump should turn on, if not, float is most likely bad.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I had same issue changed the switch still did not work, turned out it was an electrics connection.  Even though the pump would work when operating the swith at the helm
  • Options
    lifeisgreatlifeisgreat Member Posts: 16
    Thank you all for the tips. I'll try them. 
  • Options
    lifeisgreatlifeisgreat Member Posts: 16
    I filled the bilge and figured out it's definitely the float switch. I've been reading about the rul-a-matic and I haven't read good reviews. That's what I have now.  Can anyone recommend another manufacturer? I have a 2005 270 Fiesta Vee. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it quit after 11+ years, that is pretty good service. I would replace with the same one. No new holes to drill.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!